AVIC411.com

WT7600NEX & WT8600NEX First Impressions

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I got a notification in CarAVAssist that a new firmware (v1.13) for the WT8600NEX was available. I downloaded it (~225MB) but can't sync it to the unit because it fails to tether properly. Additionally, it looks like the firmware update is not available on their website yet.

Anyone successfully update it? Any word if the bypass is added (it's not in the changelog, of course)?

I also was not able to update it through carassist and thought I would try to do it on a usb drive but was unable find it online to download.  Based upon the info it looks like it is entirely android auto so it may not necessarily be applicable to my use of the radio.

I just completed the update to 1.13. No noticeable fixes on my end. Siri still sounds like garbage. 

CarAVAssist is a complicated pain in the ass that requires a very precise and intentional workflow that differs based on the function one wants to perform. To update the firmware, there is no need to connect CarAVAssist using the CarAVAssist source on the head unit over Bluetooth. Firmware updates only work over a WiFi hotspot, and must be done from within the Firmware Update menu on the head unit. Here is what I did using iPhone...

1) Assuming you have already setup CarAVAssist between your head unit and phone, open the app on your iPhone, tap “Firmware Updates” and download the new firmware. This step can be done from your house WiFi away from the head unit. The initial CarAVAssist setup alone is a pain in the ass, and is required so your phone knows what head unit you have.  If folks need help with this, let me know.

2) This assumes you have already set up the head unit to use the iPhone hotspot. Note that iPhones disable the hotspot after 5 minutes if there are no connections to save battery. Activate your iPhone hotspot by going to Settings/Personal Hotspot and waiting, or by dragging down from the upper right corner for the Control Center, holding your finger on the WiFi icon, and then tapping “Personal Hotspot” to make it discoverable. Wait for the head unit to display the connection notification. 

3) Open the CarAVAssist app on your iPhone and go to the Firmware Update Section. 

4) On the head unit, go to Settings/System/System Information/Firmware Update and tap “CarAVAssist”.

5) On your iPhone CarAVAssist app, start the installation process. 

1 hour ago, mapotter99 said:

I just completed the update to 1.13. No noticeable fixes on my end. Siri still sounds like garbage. 

CarAVAssist is a complicated pain in the ass that requires a very precise and intentional workflow that differs based on the function one wants to perform. To update the firmware, there is no need to connect CarAVAssist using the CarAVAssist source on the head unit over Bluetooth. Firmware updates only work over a WiFi hotspot, and must be done from within the Firmware Update menu on the head unit. Here is what I did using iPhone...

1) Assuming you have already setup CarAVAssist between your head unit and phone, open the app on your iPhone, tap “Firmware Updates” and download the new firmware. This step can be done from your house WiFi away from the head unit. The initial CarAVAssist setup alone is a pain in the ass, and is required so your phone knows what head unit you have.  If folks need help with this, let me know.

2) This assumes you have already set up the head unit to use the iPhone hotspot. Note that iPhones disable the hotspot after 5 minutes if there are no connections to save battery. Activate your iPhone hotspot by going to Settings/Personal Hotspot and waiting, or by dragging down from the upper right corner for the Control Center, holding your finger on the WiFi icon, and then tapping “Personal Hotspot” to make it discoverable. Wait for the head unit to display the connection notification. 

3) Open the CarAVAssist app on your iPhone and go to the Firmware Update Section. 

4) On the head unit, go to Settings/System/System Information/Firmware Update and tap “CarAVAssist”.

5) On your iPhone CarAVAssist app, start the installation process. 

Thank you! Seems like it’s not even worth doing for me. 

I got an update from a gentlemen at Maestro regarding the camera views and steering wheel control (that currently don’t work):

pionner plans to release firmware in September that will fix the issue with Maestro/ camera view commands. I wonder what else will be fixed in September? Kind of disappointing. I didn’t buy a $1000 receiver knowing it would have a beta firmware on it :/. 

Those are great Install pictures from those who posted.  Very glad I found this forum. Learned quite a bit already.  

Wanted to update you all on my bypass trials and errors.  Found a company on eBay that was advertising in motion bypass for 2020 Pioneer NEX’s.  It’s a triple pulse bypass.  I had initially installed my WT7600 with a double pulse, which did work until I started moving.  Ordered one thinking it would help with the speed pulse wire error.  Received it, installed it, and once the 3D Calibration had initialized, I lost video.  Went to Settings/System Information/3D Calibration and tapped on the Learning button.  Chose Reset All, then video came back.  At one point I had video for 13 minutes, then made a few turns, slowed down, then lost it until I came to a stop.  If you have the VSS wire connected and reset everything, it will eventually initialize to 3D Hybrid and you will lose video.  If the speed sense wire is not connected at all and you reset the learning, video will work briefly until the system initializes to a Simple Hybrid, the video is lost.  

I drive with the kids a lot, so it’s more important to me than losing CarPlay functionality.  Someone had posted that they pulled the GPS plug.  Did video stay on consistently, or did it eventually go off?

Thanks for the help. 

2 hours ago, fshrlou said:

Those are great Install pictures from those who posted.  Very glad I found this forum. Learned quite a bit already.  

Wanted to update you all on my bypass trials and errors.  Found a company on eBay that was advertising in motion bypass for 2020 Pioneer NEX’s.  It’s a triple pulse bypass.  I had initially installed my WT7600 with a double pulse, which did work until I started moving.  Ordered one thinking it would help with the speed pulse wire error.  Received it, installed it, and once the 3D Calibration had initialized, I lost video.  Went to Settings/System Information/3D Calibration and tapped on the Learning button.  Chose Reset All, then video came back.  At one point I had video for 13 minutes, then made a few turns, slowed down, then lost it until I came to a stop.  If you have the VSS wire connected and reset everything, it will eventually initialize to 3D Hybrid and you will lose video.  If the speed sense wire is not connected at all and you reset the learning, video will work briefly until the system initializes to a Simple Hybrid, the video is lost.  

I drive with the kids a lot, so it’s more important to me than losing CarPlay functionality.  Someone had posted that they pulled the GPS plug.  Did video stay on consistently, or did it eventually go off?

Thanks for the help. 

I had the GPS plug pulled on mine today and so far so good we'll see if that fixes the problem. Also the bypass on ebay that you ordered didn't work for you 

It’s to provide better location and turn-by-turn accuracy when using map apps on CarPlay and Android Auto.  Unfortunately, the in motion video feature is attached. 

I was able to pull the GPS plug and did a 20 minutes test run last night.  The video is still on.  I’ll try some more today. 

I’m happy to report that it’s been almost a day, and with multiple trips around town, the video is still working with the GPS antenna unplugged.  Went to the 3D Calibration setting and it just says initializing.  The double or triple pulse bypass and the GPS antenna unplugged, looks like that’s the winning combo for video all the time.  Thanks for your ideas and input.