AVIC411.com

DIY Volume Knob for DMH-WT8600NEX (probably more Pioneer)

• 3 weeks later...

This is so great, IvanRaide, well done.  I want to do this for my DMH W4660NEX. I miss the volume knob so much.

I already have steering wheel volume buttons connected through the iDatalink Maestro adapter thing, but they are slow to respond. iDatalink says if you have their adapter, you shouldn't have anything in the W / R port. But I called them and they clarified they are referring to stuff that should not be there, not stuff like your volume knob which talks to the unit and works. Which makes me think maybe I COULD HAVE BOTH. muahahahaaha

But I am not very electrically savvy. Do you think I'd be able to do what you did if I have the willpower without as much brains?

All you need is willpower.  When I first did the Alpine volume knob I had never worked with Arduino and hadn't done electronics since high-school, but the need for a volume knob was strong.  That said you might have to solder some connections, so a soldering iron at least is needed.  If you buy the same rotary encoder and digital POT that I bought, at least you will not need to change the code at all.

Something to note, I dont have a iDatalink, so "just in case it does cause problems" I didnt want you to think I had one and it was working?  How long does it take to move the volume with the iDatalink?  With this circuit its about 41msec per volume movement, but there are some oddities about Pioneer, if you move the volume up 3 it will move the volume up one and draw that volume overlay; while that overlay is drawing those other volume up commands are dropped, (you basically have to wait about 850msec) before sending other commands?  Maybe you are seeing that problem on the Maestro?

I would love more information on this what kind of Rotary encoder  Can you send me more information I’m sure I could build a circuit once you show me the parts list pleaseCan you send me more information I’m sure I could build a circuit once you show me the parts list please

On 8/1/2020 at 11:16 PM, Alfreds said:

I would love more information on this what kind of Rotary encoder  Can you send me more information I’m sure I could build a circuit once you show me the parts list pleaseCan you send me more information I’m sure I could build a circuit once you show me the parts list please

If you follow the reddit links, it has all the history and parts and even a diagram ... but the latest info (and a link to the code is at this one) .... you might want to read the links inside to get more context.

On 7/28/2020 at 7:17 AM, IvanRaide said:

All you need is willpower.  When I first did the Alpine volume knob I had never worked with Arduino and hadn't done electronics since high-school, but the need for a volume knob was strong.  That said you might have to solder some connections, so a soldering iron at least is needed.  If you buy the same rotary encoder and digital POT that I bought, at least you will not need to change the code at all.

Something to note, I dont have a iDatalink, so "just in case it does cause problems" I didnt want you to think I had one and it was working?  How long does it take to move the volume with the iDatalink?  With this circuit its about 41msec per volume movement, but there are some oddities about Pioneer, if you move the volume up 3 it will move the volume up one and draw that volume overlay; while that overlay is drawing those other volume up commands are dropped, (you basically have to wait about 850msec) before sending other commands?  Maybe you are seeing that problem on the Maestro?

YES. That is exactly what happens with both the + - buttons on the screen and the steering wheel buttons. It is the same as far as I can tell with the naked eye and ear. I would not know how to begin measuring the milliseconds. What you're describing seems on point. So I guess the knob won't make the pioneer respond quicker then. That's okay, as long as I can grab and twist instead of tap tap tapping my fingers.

(Sorry to split the convo into two forums lol)