AVIC411.com

How to fix for AVH-W4400NEX boot loop

Hi guys

Had this problem today, and thankfully this forum exists so manage to rummage through the pages and then put a fix together.  Thought I'd save future people some hassle and just put in one thread (I dont take credit for the IMG, it was found in the IMG thread but here goes)

This will repair the boot loop loading screen.

First off, you'll need a replacement SD card, the one I used was still stuck in the headunit as I used to use it for firmware updates and had a few tracks on.  The image file is just over 8gig but I used a 64gb one because it was what I had.  I'm sure a 16gb would work fine.  This was formatted to ex-fat.

Here is a link for the IMG file download (credit to Jamesl75 who posted it on the other thread)

https://mega.nz/file/SdJCgKCJ#13zrFlogMCWNohCvuFsDFcC1uniHgufVZJxZlQPHUag

Once you've downloaded that file, unrar it and save it on your desktop.

Next download win32 disk image https://sourceforge.net/projects/win32diskimager/

Open win32 diskimage, open the img file from your desktop then select the SD card drive... lets it do its thing for 4-5 minutes.  Note the finished SD card was unreadable on my laptop... at first I thought this was a problem, but turns it it worked perfectly fine.

Next involves the stripping down of your headunit to get to the memory card.  I used this youtube video below.  Did everything except disconnect the last ribbon connecting the metal face backing to the unit... managed to angle the black plastic backing to give me just enough space to get the old card out and the new one in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2cHp6jxD5R8

Then fit back into your car and it should work!! It did for me, and literally took me all of 20 minutes of get done and enjoy your working headunit again

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I had the exact same issue recently, and used this same image written to a 32gb MicroSD in an adapter with no issues. I was able to manipulate the front bezel after removing just two screws (and not the mechanical slide on the bottom) to eject the OE SD card and tightly insert the replacement, done in 5minutes. Just in case that link goes down, here are the known AVH/SPH images as a backup: http://sixgov.com/filestorage/forums/avic411/

• 4 weeks later...

hi, i just tried a the download on two images, I have an AVH-W4400NEX, and it appears to work fine, but no audio can be heard, just visual progress of songs with any source.  Also noticed that the HD radio is not showing any stations or ability to tune to one, so do you think i may have an image issue.  I am using Balena Etcher to burn the image and it goes well.  puzzled, any suggestions?

7 hours ago, Eli C. said:

hi, i just tried a the download on two images, I have an AVH-W4400NEX, and it appears to work fine, but no audio can be heard, just visual progress of songs with any source.  Also noticed that the HD radio is not showing any stations or ability to tune to one, so do you think i may have an image issue.  I am using Balena Etcher to burn the image and it goes well.  puzzled, any suggestions?

is it possible to download the files from pioneers and burn it to a SDHC?  or is it some sort of weird file structure?

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/24/2021 at 2:45 PM, industrial6 said:

I had the exact same issue recently, and used this same image written to a 32gb MicroSD in an adapter with no issues. I was able to manipulate the front bezel after removing just two screws (and not the mechanical slide on the bottom) to eject the OE SD card and tightly insert the replacement, done in 5minutes. Just in case that link goes down, here are the known AVH/SPH images as a backup: http://sixgov.com/filestorage/forums/avic411/

Do you know which firmware this includes? I downloaded the other one and got my HU back up and running, but I cant get wireless android auto to work. The only thing that's different from what I had before is that the firmware in that img is 1.02. It worked flawlessly for me at 1.01, so I'm hoping to find a new disk img that has 1.01 instead as you can't downgrade these units through the software.

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/13/2021 at 10:57 AM, Kyleboedeker said:

Do you know which firmware this includes? I downloaded the other one and got my HU back up and running, but I cant get wireless android auto to work. The only thing that's different from what I had before is that the firmware in that img is 1.02. It worked flawlessly for me at 1.01, so I'm hoping to find a new disk img that has 1.01 instead as you can't downgrade these units through the software.

It's the 1.02 - I have never seen a 1.01 OE image posted here. I'll rename it in that link for absolute clarity. If I ever spot it I'll put the 1.01 there too.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for posting this HondaR. (And huge shoutout to JamesI75 for the image)

I'm the creator of the disassembly video you linked to.
(Sorry it's a little misguided. Had no idea what I was doing at the time)

I've since linked to your very straight-forward post multiple times but still get questions...
I made another (very quick) video for those still confused about the process:

Thank you for your write up, and giant thank you to the AVIC411 forum for the selfless work everyone's doing here.

All the best,

-Tim

On 5/3/2021 at 6:39 PM, industrial6 said:

It's the 1.02 - I have never seen a 1.01 OE image posted here. I'll rename it in that link for absolute clarity. If I ever spot it I'll put the 1.01 there too.

I've managed to find and purchase an original factory image with firmware 1.0 from an ebay seller and I have the upgrade package to 1.01 to install with it. This downgrade completely fixed my issues with the 4400NEX. As soon as I get back to my other computer where I downloaded the disk image, I'll share it here along with the 1.01 upgrade so you can add it to your archive!

For those having Android Auto wireless issues with firmware 1.02 on the Pioneer NEX4400, here is a link to the original internal firmware version 1.0. You'll need to write this to the internal SD card on the unit in order to downgrade it. In my personal case, I wrote this image to the card, then upgraded the firmware to 1.01 and it completely solved all of my android auto connection issues. There is some kind of issue with android 11 and firmware 1.02. So this was the solution. Here is the link: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1KeU0s_btd_DcOLONqcjjVtRTkXgPG2SQ/view?usp=sharing

• 2 weeks later...

My 4500 crashed (like all the others) and i was able to get the AVIC software from OP to load on the radio however the touchscreen stopped working but all physical buttons work. never had an issue before, even replaced the ribbon cable incase I messed that up. so now I'm trying to reimage the SD card and/or try Kyle's. I've seen before that once you use an SD card for this it's toast but i was thinking there has to be a way to format it, Linus maybe?

• 1 month later...
On 2/24/2021 at 1:45 PM, industrial6 said:

I am interested in this. Can you provide detail on the screws and the way you 'manipulated' the bezel?

Note: This is still a working solution as of July 2021.

If you trust yourself with a Dremel and saw disc you can cut the front of the face around the SD slot detents. This will allow you to fully access the factory card slot.

Why go this route? In some later model fords the radio was a "custom" size and not a 1 or 2 din unit. When the 4400 went in, the dash had to be modified for the unit to fit and a "custom" bracket went in. well, it was the level of tight where you knew it wasn't going to come back out.... 

Once the screen detached, the mounting bracket swiveled out (with some solid manual assistance) and then the SD slot and 1/8" were visible, looking at other posts I knew were the ribbon cables were as well as the factor slot. I followed the detents in the plastic, pass # 2 opened a small hole where I could fit a dental style poker to pull the plastic back a little, mild pull pressure and keep cutting, top and sides clear, the bottom deeply scoured and then with some wiggling the bottom snapped off so that I did not cut the ribbon cable. 

I have a picture for reference here:

Pre-Finishing / Post testing

https://photos.app.goo.gl/DgizxRSXBHNjaffG6