AVIC411.com

How to fix for AVH-W4400NEX boot loop

So.. I tried this solution for my AVH-Z9250BT. It worked but unfortunately the software is for the AVH-W4400NEX. It’s a temporary fix which makes the head unit work but I am unable to use wireless mirroring or the Android Auto. Is there anyone who has the “.img” file for the AVH-Z9250BT?

would really help.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I was having the same problem as others have stated with a boot loop, or in my case, black screen a second or two after the initial splash NEX image. I tried everything listed in this forum to install a new SD card with firmware on it, but was continuing to get the black screen (tried 3 different SD cards and none worked). I finally fixed it and wanted to post the solution for others that have tried this fix and had no luck.

In addition to installing a new card with the firmware, I also had to install an SD card in the other slot that had the 1.02 update installed on it. This 2gb card was formatted in fat32 and the update found here was copied to the card, just follow these instructions.

I did not have to actually install the update, I just had to have the card with the update plugged in.

On 8/16/2021 at 3:48 PM, F71 said:

So.. I tried this solution for my AVH-Z9250BT. It worked but unfortunately the software is for the AVH-W4400NEX. It’s a temporary fix which makes the head unit work but I am unable to use wireless mirroring or the Android Auto. Is there anyone who has the “.img” file for the AVH-Z9250BT?

would really help.

Someone is selling the SD card with firmware on Ebay for USD75.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/113964878938?hash=item1a88d60c5a:g:29EAAOSw6S5dy37C

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/13/2021 at 8:32 PM, timcampbell092 said:

Thank you for posting this HondaR. (And huge shoutout to JamesI75 for the image)

I'm the creator of the disassembly video you linked to.
(Sorry it's a little misguided. Had no idea what I was doing at the time)

I've since linked to your very straight-forward post multiple times but still get questions...
I made another (very quick) video for those still confused about the process:

Thank you for your write up, and giant thank you to the AVIC411 forum for the selfless work everyone's doing here.

All the best,

-Tim

Does anyone know whether the image file for the 4400 will also work to solve the same boot loop problem on my 4200NEX ?

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/17/2021 at 9:52 AM, apolllo704 said:

I was having the same problem as others have stated with a boot loop, or in my case, black screen a second or two after the initial splash NEX image. I tried everything listed in this forum to install a new SD card with firmware on it, but was continuing to get the black screen (tried 3 different SD cards and none worked). I finally fixed it and wanted to post the solution for others that have tried this fix and had no luck.

In addition to installing a new card with the firmware, I also had to install an SD card in the other slot that had the 1.02 update installed on it. This 2gb card was formatted in fat32 and the update found here was copied to the card, just follow these instructions.

I did not have to actually install the update, I just had to have the card with the update plugged in.

Hmm I just had the Software Error today... and i'm planning o do this. I wonder if I will need to replace BOTH SD cards like you. I had already updated the firmware to the latest just recently.. so maybe not?

Hi a couple questions to experienced users / owners who have gone through this. I have the AVH W4400NEX and I believe this happened to my unit today.

1. I have only seen the "Software Error" screen a couple times today after trying to start it several times. Usually I just get a scrambled screen and a garbled image of my splash screen. Is that the same issue here?

2. What's the fastest speed SD card the head unit can benefit from? If i'm going to get a a new one should I just get the fastest I could get or will some not read by the head unit?

Thank you all.

Mike

On 8/16/2021 at 3:48 PM, F71 said:

would really help.

Hi, I tried this solution on my AVH-Z9250BT, the touch screen is not working. Does yours work?

Thank you

Jo

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all. New to the site as searched for the reason as to why my 1.5 year old AVH-W4500NEX s**t the bed—and it certainly looks like the SD card issue.  I noticed that my steering wheel controls started flaking and then the unit started going into a boot loop not long after. 

Since I have it installed in an older Prius, I have to rip the entire dash apart to get the unit out. I didn’t want to go the “Russian” route as some people mentioned touchscreen problems. So I went to Pioneer and gave them a piece of my mind. They felt so bad that they offered to replace both my radio and my car with a brand new Prius. 

Uh…yeah, they didn’t do that. They were very nice, but basically told me tough s**t—it’s out of warranty. But they did give me a link to their parts provider and this is the “factory” part for the SD card:

https://www.pacparts.com/part.cfm?part_no=QXX3352&mfg=Pioneer

So I ordered it and I got it about a week ago. Looking at it, it certainly looks like the same cheap POS brand that they used in the first place.  It’s more expensive than the Russian guy’s product, but I feel more comfortable knowing this is coming from Pioneer.  Now I just need a day when it’s not 100 degrees to rip my car apart and replace the card and test it. 

I think I will try to see how hard it will be to cut an access port, so if it fails again I won’t have to dismantle my car again. 

If anyone has any success stories on duplicating the image on this SD card, I’d really appreciate it. 

Update 10/10/21:  I was able to rip the dash of my Prius apart this last weekend and pull out the unit and replace the SD card.

I found out the hard way that the 4500 is different than the 4400 when dismantling—the video posted here helped a lot though. I had to improvise a bit and I removed the ribbon cable from the DVD unit at the motherboard—it was easier than from the unit. Also, I wasn’t able to slide out the display mount easily, so I decided not to force it. 

Instead, I popped the clips of the surrounding plastic frame and the ribbon cable was connected to the board was too tight, so I removed that. That gave just enough room to replace the card without removing the display mount plate. My dream of taking a Dremel to that faceplate to make an opening above the (non-factory) SD card slot will have to wait. 

My steering controls are still jacked as I fear that it could be one of two things—my aftermarket Axxess ASWC-1 has crapped out, or there’s an issue with the wiring (or perhaps a fuse) that’s keeping it from working. 

Anyway, the unit is functional and now updated to firmware 1.04—up from my 1.00. The parking brake override still works and I did have to re-do it.  So I’m back to driving happy—I just have to forget that I had to pay Pioneer their blood money for the SD card that I should have been given for free. 

Hope this helps. 

On 3/23/2021 at 12:59 PM, Eli C. said:

hi, i just tried a the download on two images, I have an AVH-W4400NEX, and it appears to work fine, but no audio can be heard, just visual progress of songs with any source.  Also noticed that the HD radio is not showing any stations or ability to tune to one, so do you think i may have an image issue.  I am using Balena Etcher to burn the image and it goes well.  puzzled, any suggestions?

I'm having the exact same issue, tried burning SD cards with both Balena Etcher and Win32 Disk Imager. Interestingly I can hear Siri over CarPlay, so I know the speakers/amp are working. No other audio works and HD radio tuner broken.

Did you ever get yours sorted @EliC?

And thank you HondaR, Jamesl75, timcampbell092 for this thread and instructions helping people unbrick!

On 5/27/2021 at 11:22 AM, Kyleboedeker said:

For those having Android Auto wireless issues with firmware 1.02 on the Pioneer NEX4400, here is a link to the original internal firmware version 1.0. You'll need to write this to the internal SD card on the unit in order to downgrade it. In my personal case, I wrote this image to the card, then upgraded the firmware to 1.01 and it completely solved all of my android auto connection issues. There is some kind of issue with android 11 and firmware 1.02. So this was the solution. Here is the link: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1KeU0s_btd_DcOLONqcjjVtRTkXgPG2SQ/view?usp=sharing

Hey Kyleboedeker,

Did you ever get an image of tge v1.01 update? I can't seem to find it anyway and Pioneer no longer has it on their site.

On 10/9/2021 at 10:28 AM, IrishHomebrewer said:

Hey Kyleboedeker,

Did you ever get an image of tge v1.01 update? I can't seem to find it anyway and Pioneer no longer has it on their site.

https://www.touslesdrivers.com/php/constructeurs/redirection.php?v_code=59470

if not

https://fichiers.touslesdrivers.com/59470/AVH-W4400NEX_FW-Update_v1_01.zip

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I followed these directions... using a 64gb micro in an adapter. Now the unit wont power on/boot at all. Harness gets power all the way to the plug. Is the adapter the problem?

I've cut a slot in the plastic in front of the main SD slot.. so I can access it easier. I've torn it apart twice now.. this cut makes it much easier for testing going forward. 

EDIT: I purchased 2 new 32gb cards, class 10, etc. to try. 1st was formatted to exFat for the Firmware and loaded... still had boot loop. The 2nd was formatted to Fat32 and had the Pioneer Update 1.02 loaded in the secondary slot along with the main Firmware card... still have boot loop. 

Edited by Moose1988
still trying
  • 3 weeks later...

I have the W4500 that started going wacky in September, first it started in the boot loop, then it started working again, well somewhat working. Anyhow I ended up here looking for an answer, watched a few videos and ended up ordering the car from Russia on October 3rd. I took the front off the unit and cut out the slot with a 3/8 drill and a file for when the sd card shows up I am ready to switch it out. Haven’t seen it yet. Maybe I should have ordered the card from Pioneer but I called them and asked if the software came with the sd card for $100, they told me no. So I called a supplier of theirs, I think it was “PacParts”, same price. I asked them if the software came with the card and they said yes. So since the unit functions good enough for now I’ll wait to see if the Russian card shows up for a little while longer. 

4908D71D-67C7-4318-8E10-773CC5880836.jpeg