• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/29/2021 at 2:52 PM, Datsun said:

I have the W4500 that started going wacky in September, first it started in the boot loop, then it started working again, well somewhat working. Anyhow I ended up here looking for an answer, watched a few videos and ended up ordering the car from Russia on October 3rd. I took the front off the unit and cut out the slot with a 3/8 drill and a file for when the sd card shows up I am ready to switch it out. Haven’t seen it yet. Maybe I should have ordered the card from Pioneer but I called them and asked if the software came with the sd card for $100, they told me no. So I called a supplier of theirs, I think it was “PacParts”, same price. I asked them if the software came with the card and they said yes. So since the unit functions good enough for now I’ll wait to see if the Russian card shows up for a little while longer. 

4908D71D-67C7-4318-8E10-773CC5880836.jpeg

I did the same as @Datsun above however did so with the unit in the car. Overall process to cut the slot and swap cards was 15 minutes which included setting up the dremel and laying out the slot. Here's how I did it:

1. Start unit and press eject then select SD.
  2. Once the face slides down, unplug the negative battery terminal to the vehicle. This keeps the face down the whole time and eliminates any possibility of shorting something out.
  3. Remove the faceplate from the Pioneer unit.
  4. Layout where the slot should be. You can use the SD logos on the plastic and the finger indent for the upper SD slot as reference points. @Datsun did a much better job locating the slot so use that as a reference. I was just guesstimating based off watching the Youtube video and pausing it.
  5. While holding a shop vac in one hand close to the working area, use a dremel carving bit and lightly start to work a slot into the face plastic. Don't go in too far or you'll hit the OEM SD card slot hardware. I actually knicked the card a number of times but it didn't effect it, not that it matters.  I just worked in shallow passes until I was all the way through.
  6. Once you're able to remove the old card, I used a utility knife to clean it up slightly but as you can see I didn't really go crazy trying to make it look pretty as it'll be hidden when the face is up.
  7. Insert your new card of choice.
  8. Reinstall your faceplate.
  9. Reconnect your vehicle battery cable.
  10. Once the unit loads, I did a factory reset just to ensure things were as clean as possible.

Everything has been running great since. I was having issues with Android Auto not loading. This was happening on the 1.01 firmware and 1.02 firmware. My new SD card is loaded with 1.02 from the img file posted earlier. Just wanted to share.

SD slot.jpg

Dremel_Rotary_Tool_Bit_9906_(EN)(4).jpg

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/21/2021 at 1:20 PM, C4pt4inMatt said:

I did the same as @Datsun above however did so with the unit in the car. Overall process to cut the slot and swap cards was 15 minutes which included setting up the dremel and laying out the slot. Here's how I did it:

2. Once the face slides down, unplug the negative battery terminal to the vehicle. This keeps the face down the whole time and eliminates any possibility of shorting something out.
  4. Layout where the slot should be. You can use the SD logos on the plastic and the finger indent for the upper SD slot as reference points. @Datsun did a much better job locating the slot so use that as a reference. I was just guesstimating based off watching the Youtube video and pausing it.
  5. While holding a shop vac in one hand close to the working area, use a dremel carving bit and lightly start to work a slot into the face plastic. Don't go in too far or you'll hit the OEM SD card slot hardware. I actually knicked the card a number of times but it didn't effect it, not that it matters.  I just worked in shallow passes until I was all the way through.
  6. Once you're able to remove the old card, I used a utility knife to clean it up slightly but as you can see I didn't really go crazy trying to make it look pretty as it'll be hidden when the face is up.
  10. Once the unit loads, I did a factory reset just to ensure things were as clean as possible.

Everything has been running great since. I was having issues with Android Auto not loading. This was happening on the 1.01 firmware and 1.02 firmware. My new SD card is loaded with 1.02 from the img file posted earlier. Just wanted to share.

SD slot.jpg

how thick is the plastic ? i dont have a dremel , im planning to use a razor / box cutter to make a that rectangle shape.

is there a way to keep the slide down without remove the negative battery side ?

On 12/21/2021 at 4:20 PM, C4pt4inMatt said:

SD slot.jpg

I think you did a fine job, especially not taking that plastic plate off the unit. I noticed when I did take that front plate off that there was a ridge/markings that help me make the slot in the correct spot. The entire time spend was maybe half an hour, and I did not disconnect the battery cables since I pulled the unit out of the dash. FYI, still haven’t gonna the new sd card from Russia. Seems to have been “lost in the mail”. Seller won’t send me another. Live and learn I guess. $65 lesson. 

Thank you for the help!

I was able to resurect my AVH-W4400NEX as well! I bough a SanDisk Industrial micro SDHC 16GB card and I used the IMG linked in the first post (credit to Jamesl75). It appears that the image is only 8GB but using a bigger card does not seem to hurt.

I had already removed the radio and I had forced the display mechanism open but if I was doing it all over again I would keep the radio installed in the car, put the display in the SD Card eject position, disconnect the battery and cut the slot in situ. No need to remove the radio. My slot did not end up looking pretty but it is functional. In hindsight, a carving dremel bit and shop-vac would be the way I would go. @C4pt4inMatt did it the right way.

Also, do not worry about damaging the SD card. As long as you can eject it at the end, it is fine.

Be careful not to cut too far down as to not damage the FFC Cable below the lower SD Card slot.

20211231_231935.jpg

On 1/4/2022 at 6:04 PM, quanttrom said:

If you got it via eBay+PayPal, file a complaint and you'll get your money back. eBay/PayPal almost always side with the buyer with their Buyer Protection program.

I tried, I thought I had a good case. Never got the item, paid for it but never got it. This is what eBay said. 

The seller provided tracking information that shows the shipping carrier tried to deliver the item to your address. You can pick it up from the shipping carrier.

After reviewing all the details of this case, we determined that you won't receive a refund.

I even went to my local PO and filed a missing package, they came up with nothing, then I filed a claim on usps.com, they sent it back to the local branch. They said it was most likely sent back to the sender. Oh well, I just play more CD’s now since that part of the 4500 works fine. 

On 7/20/2021 at 3:02 AM, arizonando said:

I am interested in this. Can you provide detail on the screws and the way you 'manipulated' the bezel?

I managed to take out internal sd card w/o even dismounting whole multimedia, take out screen then manualy slide sliders for cd  and other sd card unplug cable, then u have on sides screws each side has 1 screw on those sliders take it out dismount sliders ( black plastic behind screen where is cable for screen) then u have 2 another screws each side have one for 3rd plastic, behind is internal sd card, after u unscrew those screws u have to detach that plastic that is holding on metal boxing, i hope it helped my english is not that good.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/17/2022 at 12:10 PM, Evanovan said:

I can CONFIRM.  putting a new image ver 1.02 on a new card fixed my wireless auto connect issue. and since the new SD card is better than the crappy pioneer one, I feel the response time / loading  is much faster than before

My AA wireless doesn't work. I am certain that it's not my unit. Because I have two of these units. And I have swapped the cards so I am able to confirm that it's not my radio.

Thanks