AVIC411.com

How to fix for AVH-W4400NEX boot loop

I created an account on this site just to say thank you to all contributors in this thread.  I was surprised to find out how common this issue is and just how simple the solution turned out to be.  Got my W4400 back up and running!

Thanks again - cheers!

MN

• 5 weeks later...
  • Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/25/2021 at 3:45 AM, industrial6 said:

I had the exact same issue recently, and used this same image written to a 32gb MicroSD in an adapter with no issues. I was able to manipulate the front bezel after removing just two screws (and not the mechanical slide on the bottom) to eject the OE SD card and tightly insert the replacement, done in 5minutes. Just in case that link goes down, here are the known AVH/SPH images as a backup: http://sixgov.com/filestorage/forums/avic411/

hallo, sorry can i get the password for avh 8800 image?

• 2 months later...
On 4/6/2022 at 5:56 PM, RRamirez said:

Hello All,

I started having issues with my AVH-W4500NEX on Monday and found this thread today. Where can I download the newest firmware from to fix this bootloop issue? TIA

I also have another issue with this HU. The front face does not open up and slide out when you press the button. any ideas? It never has since new.

Robert.

On 4/6/2022 at 5:56 PM, RRamirez said:

Hello All,

I started having issues with my AVH-W4500NEX on Monday and found this thread today. Where can I download the newest firmware from to fix this bootloop issue? TIA

I also have another issue with this HU. The front face does not open up and slide out when you press the button. any ideas? It never has since new.

Robert.

Mine was opening either but that was because the aftermarket stereo lit bezel was too snugged. I ended up trimming too n bottom of bezel and now mine HU opens

El 24/2/2021 a las 15:45, industrial6 dijo:

Tuve exactamente el mismo problema recientemente y usé esta misma imagen escrita en una MicroSD de 32 gb en un adaptador sin problemas. Pude manipular el bisel frontal después de quitar solo dos tornillos (y no la corredera mecánica en la parte inferior) para expulsar la tarjeta SD OE e insertar firmemente el reemplazo, hecho en 5 minutos. En caso de que el enlace se caiga, aquí están las imágenes AVH/SPH conocidas como respaldo: http://sixgov.com/filestorage/forums/avic411/

hello, password of the compressed file avh-x8800 please

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

I have a 4400 w/ this issue. I followed all of the instructions, and really didn't hit any snags - I thought it was going great. Flashing the SD card went just as everyone said it would, disassembly was all good... Then I hooked it back up to the car and started the car, and absolutely nothing happened. There was no sign that it had powered up. The display was completely dead (not just blank -- it appeared to be not turned on at all). Although I did not test the voltage to the wiring harness, my Crutchfield support person walked me through testing the voltage on that just a couple of days earlier, so I have reason to believe that's all good.

I have so many questions now.

1. Is there a way to tell if it's powering on but failing to boot vs. not powering on at all without using the screen?

2. Can a corrupt or misformatted SD card cause this behavior?

3. Anyone seen this issue before? Did you get it resolved? How?

4. I used the very long disassembly procedure in the originally-linked video. Could something simple like a loose ribbon cable cause this?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Q#1. I would think that if there is power going thru the unit you should be able to tell. 
Q#2. No, I do not believe so. 
Q#3. I personally have not seen this. 
Q#4. I think that a loose or incorrectly attached ribbon cable could cause this. 

If you or a friend has a voltage meter I would check the plug that plugs into the back of the unit to see if it is getting power. That’s the first thing I would do, could be a blown fuse. 

• 4 weeks later...

Are you essentially doing a "manual" update of the F/W to 1.0.2, by tearing the unit apart?  (Since you can't physically get to the regular media SD card because it's stuck in the boot-loop?  I ask because I believe I actually got my unit to take the 1.0.2 F/W update the "normal" way, yesterday after my unit all of a suddent decided to correctly boot-up.  I previously had went through the instructions on the Pioneer website for getting the 1.0.2 F/W loaded on an SD card.  So I did the update the normal way yesterday.  It did fail the update a couple of times, but the auto-recovery eventually got to 100% complete and it displayed the F/W was successfully updated!!  HOWEVER, when I went to boot it up, I am stuck back in the boot-loop as before.

I fixed my boot loop issue yesterday in about 30 minutes.  I ordered a preloaded SD card from eBay with the NEX AVHW4500 software on it.  

I was not able to lower the front screen using the eject button (as I had no access to the settings functions due to the boot loop error), so i pried the front screen off with a plastic stereo removal tool, then I manually pushed/forced the motorized tray that holds the front screen down so I could get access to where the internal SD card is installed. 

I then used Datsun's idea of creating an access slot underneath the external SD card reader to get to the broken internal SD card.  I used his pictures as a guide of where to make the slot. 

Few tips:  I first used blue painters tape to tape up the AUX cable hole and the external SD slot, as well as underneath the motorized tray so I could catch any little plastic shavings and make sure they did not end up inside the unit. 

I used a 1/16 drill bit to carefully and slowly drill holes through the plastic where the internal slot is.  Then I heated up a razor blade with a lighter, and used that to carefully melt/cut out the slot.  

Popped the old broken card out, inserted the new one from eBay and the unit powered and booted right up.  The only thing you have to do is set up your unit (and reconnect to your devices) as if it were brand new.  So make sure to write down or take screen shots of your iPhone settings prior. 

Hope this helps. 

Thanks a lot for that feedback.  One question of clarification:  Lamb, the SD card you bought on eBay was for a 4500 unit.  Is your unit a 4500, or a 4400 as mine is?  I'm assuming as this is a F/W load, I'd need an SD card made specifically for my 4400 unit and that one for a 4500 unit would not work.  Is that correct?

9 hours ago, Stacey64 said:

Thanks a lot for that feedback.  One question of clarification:  Lamb, the SD card you bought on eBay was for a 4500 unit.  Is your unit a 4500, or a 4400 as mine is?  I'm assuming as this is a F/W load, I'd need an SD card made specifically for my 4400 unit and that one for a 4500 unit would not work.  Is that correct?

@Stacey64 My unit is a 4500, so I bought a card for 4500  ... I don't know for certain, but since this seems to be such a wide spread problem, my guess is that someone is selling SD cards made specifically for 4400 as well.  I assume the 4500 might work for you, but my guess would be that it would have a few bugs or be missing functionality.  Probably best to stick with the specific model number SD card for your unit.  

I made sure to read reviews and make sure the seller I bought from had a lot of positive transactions in his/her profile.  It cost me $35 all in.  Plus another $6 for a stereo removal tool kit from Amazon which had the pry tool in it. 

I can confirm that I did this for my AVH-W4400NEX and solve all the issues I had. 

Phones would pair via BT to use Android Auto or Apple CarPlay but as soon as the unit was off, all of that got deleted and had to pair the phone again or just use a cable all the time.

Downloaded the image, burned it on a 16GB brand new SD card and replaced it.