AVIC411.com

Hiding your AVIC-Z1 in your car

I have been thinking about the same thing for about a week.

I should have my avic z1 installed by the end of the week and I plan on getting some black felt or velvet or some soft material/fabric and cut it to exact size of the unit (maybe a bit bigger) than use velcro to attach it when the car is parked.

any other ideas would be great.
Well my Avic D1 was ripped out of my dash, while parked in my driveway, only 2 weeks ago.
I've now put in my original stereo prior to having motion sensors added to my security system.
The Z1 will be going in next and I've taken a picture of that original stereo that I will print out and trim to exactly the size of the screen. I'll even add a couple of nobs to the surface to give it that 3D look. Mounted on a piece of thin cardboard it'll just sit in the screen recess.
Seeing that most of the scum operates at night my hope is that it'll look convincing enough to prevent someone from having a closer look. :x :x
I was thinking about this last night as well, and came up with an idea, that I think works pretty well and I will post some pics tonight. I used the little plastic trim piece that came with my Z1, cut a piece of black t-shirt, and hot glued it to the trim piece, I than attached little plastic pieces that stick out and slide in between the Z1 and the metra install kit which holds it into place, I plan on putting a Ford symbol on the front of the t-shirt to make it look more "factory". It looks pretty good, now hopefully any would-be thiefs will move onto another more obvious radio.
  • 4 months later...
Almost all states allow a %. You can have the shop go darker usually too. I don't know of anyone who actually got a ticket for it either.

Here is the state by state breakdown:

[url=http://www.tintdude.com/laws.html]http://www.tintdude.com/laws.html[/url]

MI seems like you can do just about any %.
[quote name="howarmat"]Almost all states allow a %. You can have the shop go darker usually too. I don't know of anyone who actually got a ticket for it either.

Here is the state by state breakdown:

[url=http://www.tintdude.com/laws.html]http://www.tintdude.com/laws.html[/url]

MI seems like you can do just about any %.[/quote]

In NJ ANY tint on the front windows of a car can get you a $70 ticket. I have had a lot of friends get tickets for tinted windows.
I've got 20% all around and never had a ticket.

But, right now, since it looks quite stock, I'm not terribly worried. However, I'm looking at stock radios (need to find a factory double-din (pure double-din not needing a kit to convert to aftermarket). Then rip off the face, trim the edges, and place it over the screen. Use small metal hooks and fishing line to keep it over the screen (hooks will clip into dash above the kit @ the edge).
I live in California, and i have 30% front sides and 70% rear sides and rear window .. i have been pulled over many times for other misc things but i have not been ticketed for the tint. I know for a fact if you have ANY tint on the front sides it is illegal in california. But if you reduce the amount of tint on the front sides verses the rear of the car it may seem convincing from a distance. I have in the past gotten tickets for having front side windows tinted, but the timt shop i use now will at no charge remove the tint if you do get a ticket and they also gaurentee the tint for LIFE as well. I dont think i would ever drive around with no tint on my windows, you just asking for trouble.