AVIC411.com

[FIX] SDCard Failed? Software Error on your w4500nex? Look here!

10 hours ago, Datsun said:

Once the img is placed on the sd card it cannot be read by a Mac or a Windows machine only a Linux machine. Once you put it in the w4500 and try to boot it will be locked so it cannot be read at all except for the pioneer unit. Does this help. 

It answers part of my question. So when I placed in the available SD reader behind the face, the unit didn’t recognize it either. So is that also expected?  Has anyone tried to use the .img to update firmware?  I tried but the front SD card unit doesn’t recognize the SD card. Just trying to avoid taking apart the dash and the unit to find it still not working in the SD slot buried within the unit behind the dash. 

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hopefully this will help you. When I took my unit (w4500) out of my truck I cut a hole in it so if something didn’t go right I could easily access the sd reader for the firmware. I acquired the firmware, and burnt it to a 16gb sd card. It worked but not correctly. I used a Windows Img burner to do this. So I then purchased a 16gb Sandisk SD card, real nice one and I used my Linux machine to burn the image to this card. Haven’t had not even one issue since. I am going to try to attach a photo of my unit. Top slot is the user assessable SD slot, the bottom one is the slot for the firmware. 

121F5198-A768-480D-80D6-FF6B16A703DC.jpeg

I cannot confirm this. I have an iPhone and no steering wheel controls on my truck. But I am using a file purchased from PacParts. Expensive but it works fine. It also was not password locked so I purchased a 16gb Sandisk SD card and put the image on it saving the original in case this happens again.

35AC8B07-5015-40B3-971D-B423C739E1D3.png

I used the “dd” command on a Linux laptop to create an .img file onto the laptop, using Linux Mint 14.5. Then I once again used the “dd” command to place that image into the Sandisk SD card. Just glancing at the to cards they looks identical. So I put the Sandisk card into my w4500 and haven’t taken it out yet. Works perfectly. Does this help ?

This is where I found the information. 

b. Creating dd disk image (file image)

You can create an image of a disk or a file image. Backing up a disk to an image will be faster than copying the exact data. Also, disk image makes the restoration much easier.

sudo dd if=/dev/sda of=/tmp/sdadisk.img

You can store the output file where you want but you have to give a filename ending with .img an extension. Instead of /tmp/sdadisk.img, you could store it for example at /sdadisk.img if you want.

e. Restoring a disk or a partition image

Save a disk or a partition helps to restore all the data, if there is any problem with our original drive. 

To restore, you need to inverse the input file with the output file indicated during the backup operation:

sudo dd if=/tmp/sdadisk.img of=/dev/sda

You will retrieve data that were present before the backup operation and not after the operation

where are the actual commands I used. 

sudo dd if=/dev/sdc of=/dev/sdf/w4500.img bs=lk conv=noerror 

This command created the .img file from the drive “sdc” to the folder that I wanted with the file name w4500.img

Now looking through my command history I cannot find the command I used to install the .img file to the Sandisk SD, and I am no power user in Linux. But if I had to guess I would say this what I did. 

sudo dd if=dev/sdf/w4500.img of=/dev/sdc bs=lk conv=noerror

I muddled thru all of on my own, trial and error. This seemed to work for me. 

Thanks @Datsun It seems our images are different in some way.

For others viewing this topic, I purchased one of the official Pioneer SD cards for the AVH-W4500NEX from PacParts.com. Part number QXX3352 (https://www.pacparts.com/part.cfm?part_no=QXX3352&mfg=Pioneer).

I created an image from the card using this command(in linux, MacOS can do this too):

dd if=/dev/sdcard of=/path/to/image.bin bs=512

and then hashed the resulting file with this command:

sha256sum /path/to/image.bin

and the output of that command was:

6a466ff1a69dd147cd5e2601f73bbac4340d70f4ee3436b2db51153552dbaef2  /path/to/image.bin

This doesn't tell me a whole lot other than the simple fact that @Datsun's image and my image are different. There's a million reasons why they could be different.

Has anyone else bought the official replacement SD card, and would they be willing/able to do some coop hacking around with disk images of a fresh-from-the-factory card with me?

@fry if this is still going on after school starts I might be to jump in and help. I am not very Linux fluent but I’d like to think I a quick learner. But currently I am trying to raise 2 grandchildren (6 & 16) and am awful busy with them. Good thing am retired. Just keep me in mind.