AVIC411.com

[FIX] SDCard Failed? Software Error on your w4500nex? Look here!

Help with decision, please.

I have the AVH-w4500NEX and had the SD card issue....Downloaded the AVIC4500only and added it to an SD card....put it in my 4500. It started up and seemingly worked. It works but not everything works. It is missing the following things....Doesn't show or have the setting for the parking guide lines in the reverse camera. Only connects to Android Auto via cable (wireless android auto not working) seems possibly it is not connecting on the wifi part? Also the Eject mode is locked...in-other-words; I can't eject the screen. "Eject lock mode" is what's activated in dealerships for the display so no one steals the screen from the unit or CD in the display. When I hit eject, the screen tilt on screen buttons are greyed out and the screen eject, CD and memory card buttons are highlighted and they beep when I press them, but nothing happens. I know it's not the motor because when I manually removed the screen and screen mechanism while the power is off, them put the screen back on the moving screen tray, then power it on....the screen goes back in place.

Everything else seems to work? (Not for sure, though) steering wheel controls work. I tried redownloading and using a different SD card and had the same problem. Forgot to mention, I used the procedures for turning off the "eject lock mode" for the 4400NEX and it made no difference whether the mode was on or off, unless I did something wrong. The procedure is: from powered off, hold eject and Home (center 4 square) buttons simultaneously while turning the car ignition to the ACC position. If the buttons flash yellow, then the eject lock mode is on. If the buttons flash green, then eject lock mode is off. This flashing of yellow or green happens before the units boots up. Tried both ways, and same result. Can't eject screen by the eject button or tilt screen for CD, memory card.

So it looks like my options are to buy the preloaded memory card on ebay. (Selling for $35.00USD) right now....

Or send it in to Pioneer and have them diagnose the unit for $80USD plus shipping it to them, then hope for the best on a repair. The diagnostic fee will go towards the repair if I have it repaired.

Or remove it from my truck, then drop it from a high building and buy something new...

Unless someone has a better suggestion...

Thank You in advance!

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...

I spent hours researching this over the last day, only to find that it's really hard to find what we should be doing TODAY. Had my radio act stupid yesterday morning, immediately ordered SD cards after research, and got it fixed today after work.

So, as of today, here it is for W4500NEX:

1. Buy SD card(s). I bought these: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09CKFWP6N

2. Download the image:
Compressed (fastest download): https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-J9GN8cGtTwOvS_w0AEtBM9lReHBUrA8/view?usp=sharing
or
https://mega.nz/file/P4xCES6a#HM_DyeRdGmWY1wuN1TqyPoR8TyZrJN823oilXAoS-Qw
or
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1d5sUiiyI_zP4dP-JwWL7e_tYXjA3H9eE?usp=sharing

3. Flash SD card using rufus (or similar): https://rufus.ie

4. Watch this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0eCvEen1p0g

5. Do the work. When done, make sure the ribbon cable has enough slack on the outside of the plastic face before pushing the display back in, otherwise it'll get pulled out of the plug.

6. Be happy.

I also ordered the $35 card off ebay because it was going to take a week. PacParts wants $95! That's ridiculous. People have got to STOP recommending buying from them! I then spent $28 for 5 SD cards from Amazon because I could get them delivered overnight. If anyone is desperate for an already flashed SD card, message me and we'll work something out.

Glad you got it working! It might be a good idea to warn people that there have been reports of issues when using these images, because they are based on the 4400 firmware (correct me if I'm wrong). IIRC some features don't always work, and if someone wants those features, they may decide they want to pay the $95 to get the official one.  I didn't download these again to double-check them against the 4500 firmware image I made from the $95 official SD card I bought.

IF someone buys the official card, they too can make a backup file before they install it in their 4500. I went a slightly different route, and am very happy I did: I cloned the official SD card to one I had on hand, and used the clone instead of the official card in my 4500. Works great, and running firmware 1.05. So I have an image and an unlocked official card for whatever that's worth.

No, I won't upload my image file because I don't want any trouble with copyright police.

20 hours ago, rtheil said:

I also ordered the $35 card off ebay because it was going to take a week. PacParts wants $95! That's ridiculous. People have got to STOP recommending buying from them! I then spent $28 for 5 SD cards from Amazon because I could get them delivered overnight. If anyone is desperate for an already flashed SD card, message me and we'll work something out.

I also ordered the card from eBay, never got it. I tried the 4400 firmware posted here, it didn’t work correctly in my unit. Myself, I was tired of my unit working half-a$$ed so it was MY choice to purchase the card from PacParts and I just wish I would have done it first because my unit works just like it is supposed to, and I did the same exact thing @fry did. So if it ever happens again I have a backup copy. If I recommend purchasing it, it is because it worked for me, all the other things didn’t. Happy you got your unit working, but I am also happy I got mine working also. Good Luck. 

10 hours ago, fry said:

No, I won't upload my image file because I don't want any trouble with copyright police.

This is why people upload to megauplod or similar that's completely disassociated with anything in the US. Don't have to deal with DMCA nonsense when hosted elsewhere. I believe we have a right to repair these devices. This is just Pioneer and their scummy "legal counsel" playing stupid money games, and I'll happily fight against them. Pacparts is a willing participant in scamming the average consumer into buying software the consumer already has a license to use in the product they bought. Pioneer knows this is an issue, yet has never released a firmware update for the 4500 even though there have been updates to it.

1 hour ago, Datsun said:

I also ordered the card from eBay, never got it. I tried the 4400 firmware posted here, it didn’t work correctly in my unit. Myself, I was tired of my unit working half-a$$ed so it was MY choice to purchase the card from PacParts and I just wish I would have done it first because my unit works just like it is supposed to, and I did the same exact thing @fry did. So if it ever happens again I have a backup copy. If I recommend purchasing it, it is because it worked for me, all the other things didn’t. Happy you got your unit working, but I am also happy I got mine working also. Good Luck. 

Who'd you order from on ebay? Did you end up filing a dispute with the seller? I'm curious to see what I get when I finally receive the SD card from ebay.

It was quite awhile back and I am not here to bad mouth anyone. It was a Russian seller on eBay. I just wanted my unit fixed. When it was due to arrive on beautiful sunny day, with my mailbox right at the clean, clear, not blocked road it was marked undeliverable. I filed a dispute and lost, never seen the firmware or the money I spent on it.

13 hours ago, rtheil said:

This is why people upload to megauplod or similar that's completely disassociated with anything in the US. Don't have to deal with DMCA nonsense when hosted elsewhere. I believe we have a right to repair these devices. This is just Pioneer and their scummy "legal counsel" playing stupid money games, and I'll happily fight against them. Pacparts is a willing participant in scamming the average consumer into buying software the consumer already has a license to use in the product they bought. Pioneer knows this is an issue, yet has never released a firmware update for the 4500 even though there have been updates to it.

Who'd you order from on ebay? Did you end up filing a dispute with the seller? I'm curious to see what I get when I finally receive the SD card from ebay.

i downloaded and install the file w4500img that you had previous , everything is working except lost maestro steering wheel controls, maestro module lost communications with the pioneer , thank you 

• 5 weeks later...
On 8/21/2022 at 5:50 AM, fry said:

Glad you got it working! It might be a good idea to warn people that there have been reports of issues when using these images, because they are based on the 4400 firmware (correct me if I'm wrong). IIRC some features don't always work, and if someone wants those features, they may decide they want to pay the $95 to get the official one.  I didn't download these again to double-check them against the 4500 firmware image I made from the $95 official SD card I bought.

IF someone buys the official card, they too can make a backup file before they install it in their 4500. I went a slightly different route, and am very happy I did: I cloned the official SD card to one I had on hand, and used the clone instead of the official card in my 4500. Works great, and running firmware 1.05. So I have an image and an unlocked official card for whatever that's worth.

On 8/21/2022 at 5:50 AM, fry said:

No, I won't upload my image file because I don't want any trouble with copyright