AVIC411.com

D3 blacked out on startup....?

Anyone have any idea why my D3 is blacked out in the morning when I start my car. I could hear things happening, stereo was playing but the screen was totally black. I had to reset it to get the screen to come up...? Maybe a defective unit... It's only 3 weeks old.

Thanks in advance!

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, I did purchase it from an authorized reseller. Audiovideodimension.com. They were great to deal with and very good pricing.

I didn't have the screen off and I did try touching the screen all around but nothing helped. It is not cold here, maybe 45 F in the am. It has not happened again lately but I will be watching it.

Hate to break it to ya, but 45 degrees Fahrenheit is pretty cold to most people (not me though, I love cold weather)

This has happened to me once or twice, I am not really concerned. From what I've read, it is possible the screen will go black when it's too hot or too cold. When it first happened to me, I pulled over, turned the truck off, opened the door and closed it, started my truck back up and it was good :D

My friend's Kenwood 6019 jams up when it's too hot outside so I guess it isn't just ours :evil:

Hate to break it to ya, but 45 degrees Fahrenheit is pretty cold to most people (not me though, I love cold weather)

This has happened to me once or twice, I am not really concerned. From what I've read, it is possible the screen will go black when it's too hot or too cold. When it first happened to me, I pulled over, turned the truck off, opened the door and closed it, started my truck back up and it was good :D

My friend's Kenwood 6019 jams up when it's too hot outside so I guess it isn't just ours :evil:

Mine did it again today. Once I shut my vehicle off and then started it again the screen came up. Something must not be right. Everything the manual says about the screen not showing has to do with the emergency brake but I have done the bypass on my unit so not sure what to do. I have not read anybody else having this issue on here so I may be returning my unit. I just installed it about 3 weeks ago. Don't drive this truck every day so I'm worried that it is a real problem. I probably have about 3 hours total on the HU as of today...

I know the install is good. I did put a noise filter on the power line in hopes it would help the ghosting on my rear view camera when the truck is running. Maybe that has something to do with it...?

Okay,

The screen being blank on startup may have something to do with my remote start. It seems when I remote start it it does it but even after I put the key in and turn it the HU still is blank. The only cure is to shut it off and start the truck again. Not good for a diesel...

I have an Astrostart 2505A... Any ideas what it could be or why?

Okay, the screen just stays black on startup in the am with or without the remote start. This a.m. I key started it and the LCD would not come up. I backed my truck up to a trailer, shut it down, hooked up the trailer, fired it up and the HU booted up normally and the LCD was visible. Started the truck 5 or more times today and the unit worked fine. When I got home tonight I sat in the truck and remote started it. The LCD booted up normally.

I don't get it but I think Pioneer has a problem with these units. I really thought I'd avoid this buying a Pioneer. Guess I should have gone with the Valor afterall...

that wierd.. i had a similar problem... turned out my backup navi disc was scratched. replaced it and the problem went away!

Was that on the D3? I think it would do it more frequently during the day if that was my issue. It only does it when the vehicle is first started in the morning.... Did your unit just do it in the morning?

• 2 weeks later...

This is exactly what my unit is doing. Sometimes by shutting down the truck and restarting it (again not good for a diesel) it'll come back. Most of the time however, I have to "reset" the head unit to get functionality back.

I'm going to send it back to Pioneer as soon as I can be without the truck for more than a few days.

This is exactly what my unit is doing. Sometimes by shutting down the truck and restarting it (again not good for a diesel) it'll come back. Most of the time however, I have to "reset" the head unit to get functionality back.

I'm going to send it back to Pioneer as soon as I can be without the truck for more than a few days.

What kind of truck? Mine does not do it every time. It does it sometimes if I remote start it or key start it...?

2005 Ford F250 Super Duty Diesel. I'm going to be calling Pioneer tomorrow AM to get an RMA # and ship it back for warranty work. I've messed around with it enough to figure out it's *not* the disks. It's at the point now where resetting it is not a reliable way to get it working again (yesterday at one point I had to reset it 5 times before I could finally use it).

2005 Ford F250 Super Duty Diesel. I'm going to be calling Pioneer tomorrow AM to get an RMA # and ship it back for warranty work. I've messed around with it enough to figure out it's *not* the disks. It's at the point now where resetting it is not a reliable way to get it working again (yesterday at one point I had to reset it 5 times before I could finally use it).

Does your truck just do it in the morning or throughout the day? Mine just does it in the am but once it's warm it works fine. I'll be sending mine back within the week...