AVIC411.com

How to connect Z1 illumination in GM SUV w/"Auto"

I have a Z1 in a 2003 Chevrolet Suburban. I need direction on how to best connect the Z1 illumination wire. Specifically so that the Z1 night illumination mode works in the following 2 scenarios. First scenario is when the dash lights are turned on "Automatically" (headlight switch in "Auto" position, it is dark outside, and dash lights come on automatically). The second scenario is when the dash lights are turned on "Manually" (headlight switch in "Park" or "Head" position, and dash lights come on). Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...
Use the wire in this post. It should be the same wire in your 2003. I used it in my 2004 Sierra.

http://www.avic411.com/forum/viewtopic. ... +silverado

That's the one I used for my 03 Silverado....I guess I could have hit the wrong wire, but mine is actually reversed with the dimmer knob. In other words, when I have the dimmer full blast, my Z2 dims, and when I have my dimmer set to low, my Z2 brightens. But it does work right with the Auto/On/Off of the headlights...any time the lights are on, the Z2 goes to night mode...I haven't touched it because it actually works better for me, as I want to see my intruments, and not get blinded off the road by my Z2...

Use the wire in this post. It should be the same wire in your 2003. I used it in my 2004 Sierra.

http://www.avic411.com/forum/viewtopic. ... +silverado

That's the one I used for my 03 Silverado....I guess I could have hit the wrong wire, but mine is actually reversed with the dimmer knob. In other words, when I have the dimmer full blast, my Z2 dims, and when I have my dimmer set to low, my Z2 brightens. But it does work right with the Auto/On/Off of the headlights...any time the lights are on, the Z2 goes to night mode...I haven't touched it because it actually works better for me, as I want to see my intruments, and not get blinded off the road by my Z2...

I dont think the Z2 dims but I could be wrong. I think it is just supposed to go to "night mode" when it sees voltage so you are not blinded with the bright display.

It's supposed to work that way. When the dimmer gives out enough voltage, the AVIC thinks it's night time because the dashlights are on and then subsequently dims the radio because it thinks it is dark and does not need to be so bright. Once the voltage drops to a certain level, the AVIC does not detect and thinks the "lights are off" and thus daytime and it needs to be brighter.

Most cars have a wire to tap that is essentially the parking lights, but this seems to be the easiest (only?) one that will work at the switch.

Jason

I don't understand anyone....Mine dims with the factory dimmer switch...cept mine is opposite cause I chose for it to be that way. It's completely different than nighttime/daytime mode.

here it goes.....

daytime....nav background is a shit looking vanilla color

nighttime....nav background is black

lights off....nav screen is a shit looking vanilla color

lights on.....nav background is black

dimmer bright....Avic brightens(nighttime mode only)

dimmer low....Avic dims(nighttime mode only)

That's how it's suppose to work....There is a dimmer within the settings menu of the Avic as well.....

I know my video was a little hard to tell...it's a HD cam and I have to chop it down pretty good...

I don't understand anyone....Mine dims with the factory dimmer switch...cept mine is opposite cause I chose for it to be that way. It's completely different than nighttime/daytime mode.

here it goes.....

daytime....nav background is a shit looking vanilla color

nighttime....nav background is black

lights off....nav screen is a shit looking vanilla color

lights on.....nav background is black

dimmer bright....Avic brightens(nighttime mode only)

dimmer low....Avic dims(nighttime mode only)

That's how it's suppose to work....There is a dimmer within the settings menu of the Avic as well.....

I know my video was a little hard to tell...it's a HD cam and I have to chop it down pretty good...

Yea that sounds right. I have just not tried to dim mine I guess. I know that voltage on that illumination wire is what triggers night mode. Did not realize that it will dim the Avic as the voltage on that wire changes. Only makes sense.

You would not want to tap the parking light wire. That would make night mode work, but would not allow it to dim. The illumination wire should go to dash lights.