AVIC411.com

'07 Ford Edge: Sub buzzes with headlights on

All my connections seem solid. But when the headlights are turned on and the D3 dimms, there is a slight buzz from the subwoofer.

I've done the voltage regular to eliminate the turn-on thump. But just started hearing this buzzing sound lately.

Any ideas ?

Did it start around when you installed the voltage regulator? Could that be the cause of it? Remove the voltage regulator from the setup and see if the buzz is still there.

I installed the voltage regulator several months ago. I didn't notice this buzz until just recently. It's odd that the buzz is only there with the headlights on and only through the subwoofer. All other speakers are noise free.

I guess the voltage regulator would be a good place to start. I can remove it easily and will see if that eliminates the buzz.

yeah, thats the right one. dont know why your getting that problem. do you have aftermarket fog lights or anything else that might be tied into your lights?

Nope - nothing aftermarket - except for the D3 and reverse camera. Haven't had a chance yet to try removing the voltage regulator...

wher did you hook up the illumination wire?

At your advice, I hooked it up to the purple/white parking lights wire in the driver's kick.

are you hooking the purple/white from the d3 to the parking lights? only reason i ask is that is the reverse wire, not parking lites. pl wire is orange/white.

No - I've got the correct wires from the D3. The screen dims properly when the lights are on and my reverse camera works properly when I'm in reverse. It's just that recently, I started having this buzz through the subwoofer when the lights are on.

• 1 year later...

Well - a year later and I'm still having this buzzing sound from the subwoofer when the headlights are turned on.

I removed the voltage regulator from the sub's amp remote wire and replaced it with a 5.6k resistor. Still have the buzz/hum sound from the sub when the headlights are on.

Any ideas ?

FINALLY figured out the noise problem...

I used Scosche’s FDK11B Audiophile harness:

http://www.scosche.com/products/productID/581

This harnesses comes with a separate connector for the subwoofer (the smaller one in this picture) . This connector has 6 wires coming from it but the Edge doesn't use all of them.

581.10400.600x400.FDK11B.jpg

I Used the wires that match up with the factory’s harness. But in the factory part of this harness, there is a bare-looking ground wire that matches up to nothing in the Scosche harness.

Today, I just connected the bare-looking ground wire from the Factory subwoofer harness directly to ground and the noise went away.