AVIC411.com

Improvments the new D4 should have. Feel free to add........

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

just make the navigation work. The D3 is terrible. i laugh at most of the routes it gives. all other features work well except the navigation

Ditto. RDS would be nice though, but my only gripe with this unit is the piss-poor navigation. Oh, and the ability to change the menu color like you can with the buttons would be nice....rather than just having a few presets.

• 2 weeks later...
Also in the category of "only if it don't cost too much"... How about having a way to change the color of the buttons. I am lucky they match my interrior, but several cars I've put them in to do not match.

It already does. You have RED, GREEN, and BLUE controls to do just that. It also allows you to save up to three custom color presets as well.

Sorry, I didn't know the D3 had this feature. I've only installed D1 & D2s.

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe I missed it, but here goes. I would love to see a Speed sensitive volume (adjustable levels perhaps), even if it is only for the beep tones and voice guidance.

In my Mustang Bullitt, at highway speeds it is kida loud and I have to have the beeps and voice guidance volume turned up kinda loud just to hear them. Around town, our little lady friend sound like she is shouting dirctions at me.

If the unit is installed correctly, the vss wire is already connected, so it should only be a software change.

Just my two cents.

Keeping the D4 cheap will probably mean no hard drive or second DVD drive. However, there are a few simple improvements that could really improve upon the D3 and wouldn't cost much.

1.- More onboard RAM. How about enough RAM to keep your entire state and the surrounding states in memory at all times? Flash RAM is cheap, and some 256 megs should easily do it. This would obviate the need for putting in the map disk except for very long trips.

2.- Fix the iPod interface bugs. Really, this should also be a free update for the D3.

3.- Album art (which, apparently, will show up on new models based on what's showing at CES).

4.- A toggle button to switch quickly between the Nav screen and the current Audio Source.

5.- The ability to adjust the angle of the screen, even if only manually (like a manual side view mirror).