AVIC411.com

Anyone else have alternator whine or low volume in back?

I have two things going on that I'm going to have the installer check for me. I was just wondering if anyone else has experienced it.

I replaced my stock JBL radio in my 2006 Solara convertible with the AVIC-D3. (XM and BT as well)

I'm getting what I think they refer to as alternator whine. A high pitch noise that increases as I press down on my gas peddle.

I also don't get much volume out of my rear speakers. I have the factory installed speakers with nothing additional added.

When I change my balance to just the rear.. it doesn't sound anywhere as vibrant as when I have it to the front.

Maybe your rear speakers run through a factory amplifier which they forgot to hook up? Or maybe they're of a higher impedance that the front speakers. As for the whine, if everything is factory but the unit, I'd say check your grounds. And even ground the unit to the chassis of the car rather than through the car's radio harness.

ok.. got the whine taken care of. The installer added some noise suppressors..

My front to rear fader still seems off... I can't have it centered.. I have to have the fader 2 notches to the front for the sound to be acceptable.

I'll play around with the setting to see how to make it sound as good as possible.

My front to rear fader still seems off... I can't have it centered.. I have to have the fader 2 notches to the front for the sound to be acceptable.

That may just be due to your height and seating position. For example, if you slide your seat back, your current setting will sound like it's off even though you just moved the fader 2 notches to the front. Also, if you have your interior speakers on an aftermarket high power amp, make sure the front and rear gains are equal or at least sound equal from your seating position.

I guess I don't know much about the set up..

Even though I don't have a subwoofer.. I went in to the initial settings and selected Sub W for rear speakers and it sounds much, much better.

I have a Solara convertible and not sure if the rear speakers are meant for bass only or not.

• 3 years later...

ok.. got the whine taken care of. The installer added some noise suppressors..

I'll play around with the setting to see how to make it sound as good as possible.

What was the solution?? I have the same problem. High pitched whine that increases with pedal position on my D3.

Josh

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

are you running an amp that is connected through the rca's in the back? Its my understanding that the rca's are grounded through a "pico fuse" which commonly blow. I had a similar problem and remedied it by just not using my 4 channel amp and running my front components and rear 6.5s off the headunit, and subwoofer though the amp. Its not that difficult to fix if you have some experience in soldering and electrical work, but keep in mind that if you send it back to pioneer to fix, its a $200 flat rate fee for a 20 minute repair