AVIC411.com

Accessory ignition-switch position required??

On page 5 of the Z1 Installation manual it says, quote: "This navigation system cannot be installed in a vehicle that does not have an ACC (accessory) position on the ingnition switch."

My Passat Diesel doesn't have an 'ACC' position but I don't see why that should prevent the Z1 from being installed.

Anyone know what that's all about? :?
Sort of. If the car doesn't have an accy position then the z1 will not shut off completely when you turn the car off. If you don't have an accy position, you can hook it up to an ignition wire. In the end the red wire needs to be hookd up to a wire that loses power when the car is turned off. The other option is to hook a switch up to te red wire. One side of the switch would go to the red wire and the other side would go to the same place as the yellow wire. then you just shut off the switch when you want the z1 to turn completely off.
In your Passat the 12V switched signal for the factory headunit is carried over the CAN Bus network. That means we need to get the signal manually, which you can either do at the S-contact pin in the steering column to perfectly simulate the factory radio (ie, it turns off when you remove the key from the ignition, not when you turn the engine off), or you can get it from the headlight switch (which is the most accessible location). In that arrangement, the Z1 will turn off and on with the ignition.
I'm going to assume that you have a 2005 Passast B5.5 based on your screen name. If that's the case, your s-contact signal is sent to the headunit through the CAN Bus, there is no phyiscal signal you can tap into in the radio cage.

The diagram you posted is the wiring scheme for the connections on the back of VW's MFD navigation system (I had that installed in my car before the Z1). It's listed by pencilneck who is one of the resident wiring experts on TDIClub and VWNavi. What you need is the other side of that diagram which he also shares that has the wiring out put of the double DIN connector you have in your dash.

Of course if you car came stock with a single DIN headunit then completely disregard everything I said above and use the wiring guide you posted.
Hmmm, I too had the MFD and later the MFD2 in this car. My memory is a little vague as to where I got the S-contact at that time though.

At this point I just wanted to make sure there isn't a good reason wy the Z1 can't be installed in the 5.5.
Once I get under the dash I'm sure things will fall into place. :idea:

Just checked my installation manual from the D1 (stolen) and see that it too says that it can not be installed into a car without the ACC position on the Ignition lock. The D1 certainly worked well in my car and it looks like the Z1 will just be wired up the same way.