AVIC411.com

Need Help, amp/sub settings causing lights to dim?

I have the Z2 in my truck with after market sub woofers and amplifier. The amp puts out 600 watts total power which isn't insanely high or anything so my 130amp alternator with the big 3 upgrade should be able to power it no problem, you would think. I did the big 3 upgrade hoping it would fix the problem but it actually had no change what so ever.

I have nothing else after market that would drain any extra power. Also the lights do dim when the truck isn't running but its barely noticeable. I can have the Z2 at 10 volume level and certain songs will cause the lights to dim on the bass hits.

Right now under the sub woofer setting on the Z2 I have it set at 50hz and gain at 0. Equalizer is set to flat and powerful setting set to off. Listening to the music at this setting is like listening without even having sub's but its the only way I can drive around listening to music without my lights dimming at volume level 10. The settings on my actual amp aren't set to anything crazy either, their actually set pretty low.

I'm running 4AWG for the power and ground(which is plenty), and just for a test to see if it was a bad ground I ran an entire separate wire from the amp ground straight to the battery neg and no change.

So my question is, has anyone had this problem before? Is their a different setting on the Z2 that I'm missing that I can adjust that could fix this problem? The only other thing I can think of is replacing the stock battery because with the lights dimming when the vehicle is not running is leading me to believe that it is NOT the alternator. I read somewhere that the stock batteries in my truck are pretty crappy and the only thing they are good for are starting the vehicle in all the different seasons.

Heres some additional info on my stuff:

2007 F150 XLT

RF 2 channel amp 600 watt total power

2 RF 10" 2ohm shallow mount woofers 300rms 600 peak

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Jom

The right way to get rid of the lights dimming would be a higher output alternator. The stock one may be capable of outputting up to 130amps, but it's not going to do that at idle. Most alternators only output their max at upwards of 2000 rpm. The other thing you have to realize is that the alternator is supplying power for everything electrical in the truck along with your sound system. So if the standby load on the alternator is 70 amps then you only have 60amps left. If the amp is trying to pull 80 amps, then the voltage is going to drop, and you get the dimming.

Big three should have fixed it since its only 600watts check to make sure you did it right http://forum.sounddomain.com/ubbthreads ... 025/page/1

Check your battery charge hold and check your alternator output 600 watts shouldnt dim a system withthe big 3

do you have any other aftermarket items running at the same time?

if all the above are good then your only real option would be to upgrade the alternater.

The cap is a bad ideal. its about as useless as putting on a band aid on a fresh gun shot wound.[/url]

He could put in a capacitor to help get rid of the dimming on hits as well.

I don't know about anyone else but I think caps are an overmarketed pile. the money should be put elsewhere such as mentioned by xploder ( the big 3) however I would first start with a upgraded ground from the batt to frame and chasis. I have had alot of success with just that upgrade alone. being a 2007 vehicle the battery should be ok but I would have it tested also.

Thank you guys for all your input.

I'm going to have to agree with Xploder that my 600watt's should not dim my system especially since I've done the big 3 and especially since it does dim at volume levels 10 on the Z2(depending on the gain settings), all of you guys know that that isn't loud at all. Its just very weird.

I was reading though on F150 forums that other people have had this problem before and they were able to fix it by using optima yellow tops. Maybe I can give that a try.

If my interior/dash lights even dimmed while the vehicle wasn't running(for this to happen the gain had to be set almost max) wouldn't that mean that it is not the alternator? BTW all my connections are good I've gone over it like 20 times.

nobody mentioned the fact that rockfords are a power hungry amp even the small ones draw more current than average amps do. they are very inefficient and usually dissipate more power than they use. try an alpine amp or if price isnt an issue get a diamond audio.