AVIC411.com

07 STI Avic-D3 Install guide

So i'm waiting for my Pioneer Avic-D3 to come in and cannot absolutely wait to have it in. I called a couple of places for the install but it's pretty pricey and I dont think I can wait any much longer once it's here since it'd be a couple days before I can actually get an appointment. I'm completely not tech savy at all wit electric and wires but i do have the time. I've been reading and searching through forum after forum, thread after thread, post after post, and I pretty much have the basics down: unit itself, subaru to universal wiring harness, (mine comes wit ipod and sirius adapters), and some zip ties. Then all the mods/bypass: VSS, Reverse, and Brake wires. Only problem is need be, i'd have to jump around forums for help. I was wondering if there are any write-ups specifically for the 07 sti model (best i can find was for an 05, but i heard even they have some minor changes to be aware of for the install). Or does the manual pretty much outline everything and the rest is just small add-ons??

I truly appreciate any advice/guide/help/pics/whatever you've got!

thanks_john lucas

should be easy enough to do. The ecu is under the pass. side floor board where you put your feet. and has pretty much all the additional wiring there.. even the reverse light can be found not to far away in the kick panel. get the standard harness from circuit city/best buy. if you can solder i would suggest doing that, if not butt connectors or similar are fine. you can put the gps ant. inside the vehilce just in the center of dash under windshield, it will function properly.

Caution on some things, take your time when doing it use cloth to protect exposed dash pieces so they dont get scratched. you might want to use a different ground... like the one on the side of the radio mounting brackets instead of the one in the wire harness. and above all else, if something doesnt look right or your not comfortable, dont do it. get advice/help

thanks man, i really appreciate your post cause that pretty much summed up everything to a comfortable level for me to do it...before it was all these things running through my mind of what to do thus making me little at unease of when it would come time to actually doing the install...so nothing i have to worry about with the parking brake wire or gauge cluster since the ecu connection will take care of the VSS?? and i dont think i need to be worrying about the reverse since im not planning to install any camera, unless it provides for another use??

misfit, i noticed your in Jersey which is really unfortunate for me because i am too-lol..and i just left to come back up here for school but should have stayed down a lil longer

well i would install everything if it was me. theres a forum www.nasioc.com thats subaru related, its huge! you can locate the necessary wiring there. parking break is behind the dash just to the right of the glove box just underneath. you might consider unplugging the day time running lights too since the lights are hid and excessive abuse by being on like that will drastically lower the life of the hid system. you can simply unplug the relay that the parking break wire goes to, which is where i mentioned earlier.

The ecu needs to be removed from the floor so you can see the plugs and get to them, just go slow, be patient, and itll come out real nice. It would be a shame if you messed anything up or didnt do just a perfect job. i loved both my 05 and 06 sti's and will get an 08 hopefully soon. I got remote start alarm that works well in the subaru's cuz it takes advantage of the neutral safety switch from subaru already in the vehicle. this prevents the vehicle from being started in gear even if you leave in gear. simplest way for the use ive ever seen.

enjoy