AVIC411.com

Disabling Security Problems

Hey Guys,

Well I finally got the IDE adapter in.

I burned the MHDD ISO file to a CD and put it in the dell tower. I also have the dell Western Digital hard drive unplugged and then the Toshiba drive plugged in.

I'm getting the following error message which isn't documented anywhere on here "strike F1 to retry boot, F2 for the setup utility"

I can't figure out what is going on here. Any help?

Duke

Hey Guys,

I burned the MHDD ISO file to a CD and put it in the dell tower. I also have the dell Western Digital hard drive unplugged and then the Toshiba drive plugged in.

I'm getting the following error message which isn't documented anywhere on here "strike F1 to retry boot, F2 for the setup utility"

Duke

This is coming from your BIOS, which is responsible for knowing how many drives you have in your computer, and which one to boot, among other things.

If you're on a newer Dell, try pressing F12 when you see the Dell screen to enter the one-time boot menu. You should be able to select CD ROM drive to boot from CD. If that doesn't work, boot normally and when you see the error, hit F2 to enter the setup and CAREFULLY look for a manu that talks about the boot order, change it to CD, then exit and save changes.

Hey Guys,

Duke

This is coming from your BIOS, which is responsible for knowing how many drives you have in your computer, and which one to boot, among other things.

If you're on a newer Dell, try pressing F12 when you see the Dell screen to enter the one-time boot menu. You should be able to select CD ROM drive to boot from CD. If that doesn't work, boot normally and when you see the error, hit F2 to enter the setup and CAREFULLY look for a manu that talks about the boot order, change it to CD, then exit and save changes.

Sorry for taking awhile to respond. I got really frustrated and gave up. I'll give it another shot this weekend. I tried changing the boot order and putting the CD ROM first on Sunday and that didn't end up working for some reason as it gave the same error.

I'm beginning to wonder if something isn't wrong with the boot CD. I used a new CD and burned the ISO to the CD that is on the link provided in the other thread. It was the download ISO for CD booting named "Magic_Boot_Disk_ISO_v2.0.iso".

Was I supposed to burn it a different way?

The obvious question is (and forgive me for asking it if you're already savvy to burning CD images correctly) "what do you see on the disc."

If all you see on it is a single file -- the ISO file you burned -- then it's not burned correctly. Use ISO Recorder to burn the image to the disc as an image. Link: http://isorecorder.alexfeinman.com/isorecorder.htm

If that's not it, we'd have to get a little deeper into troubleshooting. What drives are on which chains? What does the boot order say currently (did the changes save correctly?) does the disc boot on another system? etc...

I'm beginning to wonder if something isn't wrong with the boot CD. I used a new CD and burned the ISO to the CD that is on the link provided in the other thread. It was the download ISO for CD booting named "Magic_Boot_Disk_ISO_v2.0.iso".

Was I supposed to burn it a different way?

The obvious question is (and forgive me for asking it if you're already savvy to burning CD images correctly) "what do you see on the disc."

If all you see on it is a single file -- the ISO file you burned -- then it's not burned correctly. Use ISO Recorder to burn the image to the disc as an image. Link: http://isorecorder.alexfeinman.com/isorecorder.htm

If that's not it, we'd have to get a little deeper into troubleshooting. What drives are on which chains? What does the boot order say currently (did the changes save correctly?) does the disc boot on another system? etc...

Trust me I won't take offense as I'm not incredibly savvy and have no problem admitting what I don't know. That's how we learn in the first place.

All I see is the ISO file I burned, so it looks like that is the problem. I'll give it a new shot this weekend. Can I re-use the CD with the ISO file on it?