AVIC411.com

AVIC-D3 Wiring in 06 Xterra with Fosgate

Can anyone help me be certain I get the correct wire for the vss. I've read many posts and it appears I should have a lt. blue wire in the harness from the factory Fosgate stereo. I am having difficulty finding this though. I installed with a wiring harness by Best (BHA7550) that utilized the two bigger harnesses unplugged from the factory setup and left the two smaller ones hangin. The big harness that has a lt. blue wire has it connected to the black ground wire by the Best Harness. Everything seems to work fine so far but I am just now trying to finalize install. Once I got sound and ipod functionality I put everything else (SWI-PS, BT, XM, Sirius, Camera, rev cable, vss cable, brake cable) on hold. There is a sorta lt. blue cable in one of the smaller harnesses. Is this the one? Also, Can anyone tell me what all these other now unhooked wires are for? I'm hoping maybe the harness with just 3 wires is the one I need for SWI-PS. Still working my way through everything. Sorry if these are answered and I missed it. I'm not thrilled about the resistor connection situation, do these have to be soldered? I'm ok with caps and taps and such but definitely not comfortable with soldering. I'm not what you'd call an expert. I've tried to attach a picture of my current mess of wires. Sorry for the long post. Thanks for any help.

post-15867-12872753719679_thumb.jpg

I have figured out from other posts that I do need the smaller harness with 3 wires for the SWI-PS. How are people connecting these? I try not to mess with factory harnesses because I might put the old stereo back in some day but I cannot figure out how to jam anything in the tiny holes that might stay and there isn't much room to tap into all 3 wires. I still can't figure out hpw the resistors connect to all this. Any suggestions please? Thank You

I think I got the SWI-PS worked out. I hope it works. If it might help someone else, I got into my computer parts and pulled the wires from a 3 pin connector and they seem to slide nicely into the factory harness I need to connect to. I just hope they hold. I might tape it all up also, not sure. I've attached a picture, lovely soldering ehh? I was having trouble getting the 2 resistors soldered to the one wire so I shoved them all in a butt connector with the plastic trimmed back and filled it with solder. I hope it all stays. Would anyone offer a thumbs up or down on this solution before I put it in the truck?

post-15867-12872753720533_thumb.jpg

ok, so pc 3 pin wires were no go. It seemed they slid in and held ok but they just pop out when trying to put the deck away and screw in. So, I'll have to just tap them in. Also, I'm dying on the vss. I tried the open sorta light blue wire and no joy. I took a drive with the vehicle dynamics screen on and the speedometer on there was just bouncing around 12, 38, 122. Does thin mean right wire but bad connection or needs some calibration or is it just wrong wire? Please help. Thank You

Thanks, I actually did that first and it never changed from 0 so I thought it maybe didn't mean anything and then I did it with the vehicle dynamics up and thought that was a more obvious indication that something wasn't right and I only mentioned that in my post. Do you think this wiring harness I bought to connect the AVIC-D3 to my factory harness is messed up? Every post I can find about the Xterra VSS anywhere (and some pathfinders and some frontiers which are sometimes said to be the same and sometimes not) says that I should have a light blue wire in the factory radio harness. Unfortunately, none of the posts I've found says which of the 4 factory harnesses that's supposed to be in, but I only see two, tried one with no luck and the other is connected by my aftermaket harness to the stereo ground wire. Could they be using the vss as a ground?

The vss connection isn't always availible at the radio harness. So your truck may not have the vss wire present in the radio harness. What you can do is pull the gauge cluster, and look for a lt.blue wire in pin 6. If pin 6 is empty, then take a picece of wire and shove it in until in makes contact with the pin. Zip tie it to the rest of the wires and hook that wire up to the pink wire of your avic. I've had to do that on more than a couple xterras and frontiers.

Thank You for your advice. I'm not discounting it at all and may end up having to go that route but I really hope not to and would like to ask one thing about it. I've seen other posts suggest that if my stock stereo would increase and decrease in volume with speed, then it does indeed have that connection to the radio. My truck did have that so I thought it must be there somewhere? have you any knowledge or seen any posts of maybe a different color wire? Do you think there's any way it might be the lt. blue one that the aftermarket harness has hooked to ground? Thanks for all your help.

Another question for you all. I had originally installed the D3 without connecting the back-up, vss, reverse or any accesories but the ipod connector and used it that way for months. I never noticed any real issues with the nav when I used it. I've now gone into installing eveything else and rolled up an tied everything down to clean up the wires, In doing this I wound up the gps antenna and sirius antenna together and tied them down. I now see my nav is way off and the speedometer in the dynamics screen jumps around. I originally thought it may be just becasue it's been in the garage when I checked the nav, I drove down the street with the dynamics up to see if I had vss right but did not check the nav then. I'm worried now though that my problem may be the winding and tying of the antenna with the sirius antenna. Would you agree? Can I wind up the excess antenna and tie it down away from the sirius antenna or would it still mess it up? Thanks for everything and sorry for my horribly long posts, I just lik to give all the details.

another one, sorry, I'm dying to get this wrapped up. If I take a chance and try the sky blue wire in the radio harness at pin 9 for the vss and it turns out it is a ground, what potential damage am I looking at? I followed links here to other forums and everything I can find suggests this should be the wire.

• 2 weeks later...

I finally got it all working. It was in fact the sky blue wire, at pin 9 in the largest radio harness that I needed for vss. The harness adapter I had bought had the radio ground hooked up to this wire. I don't know why in the world they did that or how it was working as a ground but whatever. I clipped the black wire from the aftermarket harness and attached the vss to it, then I took all the grounds to some metal behind the HU. Everything works great. I have visual and audible indicaters on speed pulse and the speedometer seems to be right on. I never did unwind the antennas and everything seems to be just fine with the nav. Thanks Batman for your suggestions and thanks to all for the posts that helped me get here. I was thrilled to stumble on the bypass posts and get that all done. I was thinking I'd have to get into the center console and was going to hook up a rocker switch to bypass and I avoided all that mess. Thanks all.