AVIC411.com

Brand New with questions...

I am brand new to this forum but I am seriously considering purchasing the Z2 Nav system for my Acura TSX.

I am not very tech savvy and I am having a shop do the install and there are a few things I'm worried about.

1. Freezing up -- I have been reading about this and there seems to be a fix.

2. Not being able to use the nav while I'm driving -- I don't care about watching movies, but I want to be able to change my destination on the fly... I currently use a Tom Tom and I can change my destination or decide to go somewhere and put in an address whenever i want.

-- I know there is a "2 wire bypass" but I will not be able to do that myself... is that something the install shop can do? Does it render other cool features unusable (night day view w/ headlights etc...)

3. Can I use my TSX Steering wheel volume and channel controls, or will they be useless?

If anyone could help out with these questions it would be greatly appreciated because these are the only things keeping me from pulling the trigger at this point.

Thanks!

j

1. Freezing up -- I have been reading about this and there seems to be a fix.
Yes, there is a software update that does fix the problem.

2. Not being able to use the nav while I'm driving -- I don't care about watching movies, but I want to be able to change my destination on the fly......I know there is a "2 wire bypass" but I will not be able to do that myself...
The 2-wire bypass will unlock everything. Yes, EVERYTHING.

is that something the install shop can do?
As I understand, most installers will NOT perform the bypass as they could lose their job. It's not too hard to do on your own, and we're all happy to help.

Does it render other cool features unusable (night day view w/ headlights etc...)
Nope, it doesn't break anything. EVERYthing is unlocked and usable in motion. Gyros are not disabled or anything lame like that.

3. Can I use my TSX Steering wheel volume and channel controls, or will they be useless?
Beats me. There's probably a PAC adaptor for it. I'm sure somone on here will have better advice about PAC stuff... ;)

I am having it custom done... i have the non-navi version 2005 and I'm pretty sure the shop is going to cut out the current radio and custom fabricate a double din bracket and plastic to go around the new piece... cost is about 400 bucks... I'll definitely post pics whe its done... probably two weeks.

thanks!

j