AVIC411.com

Successful D3 Install... this time in an Element

Just got my D3 this week, and I'm loving it!!!

Bought it from Best Buy; was originally looking at the Kenwood DNX-5120, which was in the $1K range. When I went to Best Buy, I noticed that the D3's were dropped down to $699 on sale; and alas, there was an open box! Within the box was everything but the DVD's and the remote; I talked them down to $550 and they bit. Installed it that night!

Used a Metra universal Honda dash kit and modded it for 2X DIN to fit the gap around the unit and factory bezel (need to do some depth adjustments, but already looks pretty good). Item of interest for you Element folks; Metra does not make a dash kit for a double DIN unit; you have to do some modding. The Metra brackets were pretty mickey-mouse, so I used the factory steel brackets and bolted them to the D3. There are indents in the brackets, which needed to be filed off to bolt up nicely to the D3; a determined 10 minutes with my file on my Leatherman did the trick! Not using the onboard 50X4 amp; offloading to amps instead, so the install was ridiculously easy. Will post pics hopefully within the next week or so.

As for the Bypass hack, it works as described in the stickys within the D3 mods on this forum. I needed a sanity check, as my D3 was *already modded* by the previous owner (Best Buy open box). The picture set me straight. Installed a GEX-P920XM and a CD-BTB200; both work flawlessly! I put the XM and GPS antennae pucks inside on the dash, centered and as far toward the windshield as possible; I've burned 2 tanks of gas driving around and haven't had reception problems yet.

I'm really inspired to do the fake OEM radio faceplate mod; I'm paranoid about getting jacked, and I have a coat thrown up on the dash for now. I'm going to hack up my previous OEM radio and create a faceplate cover with magnetic holds within the dash bezel. Will post pics and let this forum know how it turns out.