AVIC411.com

D1/D2 Voice Guidance Glitch

Are you able to disable voice guidance with the "on/off" function?  

6 members have voted

1. 1. Are you able to disable voice guidance with the "on/off" function?

• Yes
    • No
    • Works sometimes
    • Other

I find that I cannot turn off voice guidance on my D2. I can set the voice guidance to "off" but it does not have any effect. My only option is to turn the voice level all the way down. I have read another post from someone with the same problem, and was wondering if the bug was universal, common, or isolated.
In the manual on page 64 it says that the Voice Guidance On mutes the Audio source . It's not for turning the Voice Guidance on & off but to mute the music when Voice Guidance is giving nav directions.Maybe they could have phrased that better like "Voice guidance muting"?
jhoglesr - Sounds like I should have just RTFM, right? Now that you mention it, this is indeed what that feature seems to do. I think most would agree that the way the function is presented on the interface, is confusing and misleading.

Adam - I will tell you exactly why it's an issue. I was navigating to a club in downtown Houston last weekend with my wife. I DID NOT need the AVIC to remind me not to take each major freeway exit ("in 7/10ths of a mile, keep left," etc., once every two minutes). When I got into the area, I wanted to turn up the volume AND apply the muting so I would be alerted to my exit. While trying to adjust TWO settings on the AVIC (amidst busy downtown traffic, no less), I missed the exit. No, I didn't understand the exact functions of the settings at that point, but this is what happened, and what could easily happen again. If you simply turn down the volume, you still get the muting, meaning that you have TWO settings to adjust if you're like me and like to have interruption-free music AND silence during voice guidance.

Also, I make frequent road trips along the same highway and want to set a destination to know my ETA and miles to go. I DO NOT need the voice and a simple on/off would be much better than the volume thing.

Well, clearly my poll was misguided, and thanks for clearing it up, j! Maybe Pioneer will make some improvements on the interface next time around. There are PLENTY of things they could have done better on the AVIC, much as I like it overall.

Cheers!

:)
Hey donk , half the time I can't find what I'm looking for in that manual anyway. I have a partial solution for your problem.When my phone would ring I needed 1 hand to steer 1 to flip open the phone and 1 to reach over and turn the music down.Even after answering it wasn't always easy to lower the XM music , hard to make turns with my knees. Anyway I purchased the CD-SR11 steering wheel remote made for the N3 & D2 units.It has a VOICE button that mutes and allows voice commands on the N3.I was hoping that it would mute the D2 but no luck. What it does do is turn volume up/dn with two buttons on the back side of the unit just where my finger tips rest,so no reaching for the dash.A NAV/AUDIO button on the front changes the use of the buttons.In NAV mode the volume buttons adjust the voice guidance and I find myself changing this volume alot since pioneer doesn't adjust the volume as the car speed changes.The unit also changes map size/source/xm stations/between xm groups of music like jazz,you can just move between stations in that group.Bottom line is it didn't mute but has a way around it and my D2 is more fun to use now. Best price I found was $35.02 including shipping on ebay.See write-up on Pioneer site.