AVIC411.com

No sound from front & rear speakers, sub works fine

Greetings,

I'm new here. I hope someone out there can help me out...

I have the AVIC D3 with a separate Mono Amp for the sub and a 4 channel amp for the front and rear speakers. The whole setup was working fine and then suddenly about 2 weeks ago, my front and rear speakers went out, but the sub continued working. If I use the off button on the AVIC panel and turn back on, still no sound. Now, if I turn the car off and then turn back on, things go back to normal.

Now, yesterday, the same thing. I got into my car, turned on the car, started the A/C, wasn't driving for more than 30 seconds and the front and rear speakers go out. Again, the only way to restore the sound is to turn the car completely off. Even after I did that, 30 seconds don't go by and then it happens again. Gave up and re-started the car later... all was fine. A few extra data points:

1. This problem is not consistent. That is, it does not happen all the time.

2. When it has happened, the head unit was not in use very long (e.g. less than 10 minutes), so I strongly doubt this is an overheating issue.

3. The mono and 4 way amps have a light on them. Supposedly, if a short were to take place after the amps, the amp light would turn red. When the problem last occured, I checked the amp lights and they were at a healthy blue (e.g. no problems).

The only thing I can think of is there is a short and the head unit is turning itself off at the front and rear speakers??

Any thoughts here would be appreciated. Thanks, Matt

After investigating this problem today, I figured out how I can consistently make this problem occur:

Evidently, the AVIC D3 that I have does not like sitting in a hot car. Today, my car sat in the sun. It is was a hot day here in Southern California and with the all black interior in my car, the cabin heated up. After the car sat in the sun for an hour or so, I started the car, and drove off. I turned on the AVIC D3 and cranked the tunes. Sure enough, after a particular volume level, the front and rear speakers turn off (the subwoofer keeps playing). Turned the car off and then tried it again. Sure enough, turn up the volume and when placed a certain level, causes the problem again!

I let the car cool off on the inside and then crank the tunes and no problem.

Conclusion: Head unit is sensitive to ambient temperature inside vehicle. Has any one experienced this before? I am debating if I need to take it back to vendor for a new one, or, if this is just the way these units are. Keep in mind, this happens when the unit has not been used. So it is strictly the ambient temperature it has an issue with.