AVIC411.com

Some noob questions

Well summer is coming up and I have been thinking a lot about doing an upgrade to my car's system. I have noticed the easy upgrade from Z1 to Z3 and I think I would be pretty comfortable doing this, so I think I'll buy the Z1. I just have a few questions...

Is it any laptop hard drive that will work with this upgrade? Could I use a 160GB and just put my entire music collection on? I have a huge music collection, and right now I have a full 80GB ipod hooked up to my head unit but I am not really happy about the speed (takes forever to browse through artists).

When the unit rips a CD, are the file sizes similar to MP3 or do they get blown up or compressed?

Is anyone using XM Radio NavTraffic? Does it work well in your area? I live and work in the Washington DC area and have to drive 495 daily. I would absolutely love assistance getting around the jams.

The upgraded drive you need to buy is a Toshiba. I have the 40 gig MK4032GAX but others have the 60 and 80 gig drives. I've read on here that no matter how big of a drive you get, you're still only limited to a certain amount of music files, so the rest of the space is wasted. Do a simple search for HDD Music Partition or something like that, to get more info.

If your collection fills the Ipod, then you're probably better off getting the Ipod adaptor and just using the Ipod. If not, then you're going to have to rip all that music, cd by cd into to Avic. Only WAV files can be ripped into the Avic.

Well summer is coming up and I have been thinking a lot about doing an upgrade to my car's system. I have noticed the easy upgrade from Z1 to Z3 and I think I would be pretty comfortable doing this, so I think I'll buy the Z1. I just have a few questions...

Is it any laptop hard drive that will work with this upgrade? Could I use a 160GB and just put my entire music collection on? I have a huge music collection, and right now I have a full 80GB ipod hooked up to my head unit but I am not really happy about the speed (takes forever to browse through artists).

When the unit rips a CD, are the file sizes similar to MP3 or do they get blown up or compressed?

Is anyone using XM Radio NavTraffic? Does it work well in your area? I live and work in the Washington DC area and have to drive 495 daily. I would absolutely love assistance getting around the jams.