AVIC411.com

Steering Wheel Controls - 2008 VW GTI - Programming Help

Hey guys,

Got my AVIC-D3 installed today after all the parts finally arrived.

Everything works great except I am unable to program the steering wheel controls.

Help from other members advised me to order the following parts... VWAH, SWI-CAN and SWI-PS...

Well, I switched the SWI-PS to "3" and held Program while turning on accessory. Pushed program twice, and let it blink 2 times to confirm it was in the correct programming mode. Then shut off the accessory and restarted it. SWI-PS blinked twice as expected. Following the manual again, pushed the program button, waited for the LED to light up. Released it and the manual states it will remain on and then you start the button programming. Well, when I release, instead of staying on, it blinks 8 times slow. Then 3 fast with a pause followed by 2 more fast blinks and then the volume cranks up on my headunit.

I skipped to the end of the manual where it states "After you have finished programming, wait 7 seconds (which was approx 8 blinks) and it will flash 3 times to confirm end of programming and then 2 more times to confirm programming mode 2.

I am sure anyone that has worked with these will understand but I am wondering if it has anything to do with my harness being a Peripheral VWAH instead of a PAC C2R. If it is, anyone have any suggestions as I have the parts here and cannot use them.

The closest thread I could find for any information is - http://www.golfmkv.com/forums/...27163

I emailed PAC Audio about it who advised me the following:

"Please make sure that, the red wire from the SWI-CAN is not connected to 12 volts (this wire is a 12 volts output).

If connected undo the connection and reprogram the SWI-PS all over again starting for the Version (version 2) and then try to reprogram the buttons"

So from there....

Checked the red wire coming out of the SWI-CAN and it is a dead connection, does not go anywhere... So that is correct.

My revision is good, 1.4.16 which is the latest, so that is not the problem...

I called up PAC and they suggested cutting the wires and bypassing the 6 pin clip. I didn't cut the wires but I traced all the wires and compared them to the harness layout, every pin ends up in the right place. So it isn't that as far as I can tell.

Anyone that has had to program these will understand the following steps...

1. Hold in Program while turning on Accessory

2. Red LED lit up, released Program and LED unlit

3. Pushed Program 2 times and waited 3 seconds, it blinked twice to signal version 2

4. Turned off ignition and removed key

5. Put key back in and turned on accessory

6. LED blinked 2 times to signal version 2

7. Pushed Program until LED lit and then released

*Now here is where things do not go as planned

8. Instead of the light staying on, it started to blink ~8 times (approx 7 seconds)

9. LED paused for a second, blinked 3 fast to confirm end programming, blinked 2 more to confirm version 2.

So yeah, this is a fairly long post but I am hoping someone here has used the same equipment and can help.

I just did this install on my 07 GTI, i had the same problem. What I was forgetting to do was plug in the remote wire into the back of the unit. Its the one that looks like a headphone jack. As soon as I did it worked great. The only downside in using the right steering wheel controls is it will constantly change the mfd function with it.

Looking for someone with a PAC SWI-CAN and willing to help me out!

Got an email back from PAC today and they said...

"Use a multi meter set to volts DC and read the voltage out of the green

wire from the SWI-CAN you may have to unplug the SWI-PS to get this

reading"

Great but what Voltage should it show??

Mine shows 0.

Here is the chart of all mine...

Coming from the 6-pin off the VWAH harness going into the SWI-CAN

CAN+ (Red/White) - .5 VDC

CAN- (Black/White) - 4.5 VDC

Yellow - 12 VDC

Red - 0 VDC

Black - Ground

Coming out of the SWI-CAN is the 11-pin...

Green - 0 VDC

Red - 12 VDC

Anyone willing to quickly run outside and rip their dash apart and test what Green out of the SWI-CAN with a multimeter for me? Please?