AVIC411.com

2008 Highlander Hybrid D3 Install

Well I recently installed a D3 I got at Circuit City on Clearance, in my 08 HIHY. Complete with Bluetooth, iPod cable, PAC Audio SWI-PS steering wheel control and XM Navtraffic The install was surprisingly easy. Here is how it goes:

- All cables and connectors in the HiHy are different and only fit its own device, so there is no need to mark the connectors with a cable. Makes assembly a snap.

- You will notice a few nicks on my dash, my friend who helped install it was a little impatient. There is no need to use tools to pull the dash apart, please learn from my mistakes.

- HiHy has a diversity antenna that does not work with the D3, I had to install a low profile antenna behind the stereo and attached the power amp to the blue and white remote wire on the D3. Reception could be better, but would have to raise the antenna higher and make it visible. But I can live with a little static, listen to xm and ipod anyway.

-The center air vents pop right out with a strong pull. Then unscrew the lcd screen and place it on the dash.

-The bottom storage compartment also pops out without a need for tools. disconnect the cables.

Then just pull the air conditioning controls out and disconnect the control cable.

-There are 4 screws that hold the stock radio in place. Unscrew them and disconnect and you now have plenty of room to work on wiring and the install.

-The Metra install kit I used holds both the D3 and the LCD screen. There is plenty of room behind the unit for wire.

-I installed the magnetic GPS antenna on a metal bar that runs the length of the dash and sits right under the dash, which is just as good as mounting it on the dash.

- The SWI-PS was so easy to install that it doesn't even need to be mentioned. I just pushed it back behind the stereo. I have full control of volume, tuning and mode.

- Installed the XM under the passenger seat and the Bluetooth is installed in the center console, under the gearshift using velcro to attach it to the inside wall of the console. The top of the console also just pops out with a strong pull.

- Used the bypass so no speed cable or reverse cable installed. Works like a charm even in tunnels.

post-21463-12872755005525_thumb.jpg