AVIC411.com

Got my AVIC-F90BT. Pros and Cons

I got my AVIC-F90BT today. took a while to install. mostly because the stupid Pioneer's connector has no plug on them. I have to use all my wire clips for the install. plus it has a LOT more wires than my Previously installed Panasonic Strada, so it cost extra time to try to fit everything in the back of the Navigation without blocking airflow.

Anyway, here you go :

Pros :

- Nice® looking interface (compare to the Panasonic, which is a 2007 product but it still looks dull, too generic)

- Less heat - My Panasoinc runs HOT all the time, well no crashes or anything, but I just dont like it hot

- MSN Direct build-in - Gas prices works, Traffic works, Weather works but ... (see later)

- New, Up to Date map - God damn Panasonic has a 2005 map on a 2007 product. There were a couple of times they changed the roads to one way, I got stuck there and have to get off the car to ask someone local to help me get out. Hope this map will work better.

- Bluetooth Build in - Works really well with my N73 and W900. I will change my phone soon to either w980 or Xperia X1. so we will see how well it goes. but hey, its ok for now, setup is pretty straight forward. so Im happy :)

- Buttons's light will change its color on its own -I consider this as a pro cuz Panasonic only has 1 color. It looks like I am in 2008, not 1997 with Panasonic.

- Nice screen resolution - Sharper images thats for sure. Have yet to try a DVD. Will do it tomorrow.

Cons : (Long list, even just 2 hours of experience)

- SLOW bootup ! I mean, yeah I read everything before I decided to go for this unit. I was like Ahh 2 minutes is no biggie. but hmm. It actually kinda sucks to wait for at least a minute before I can access the Navigation menu. I already disabled the VR catalog. Yes MP3 on CD comes on within a few seconds, so does Volume control. But hmm. they can do better than that.

- Funky ass Routing Guidance - Instead of going straight and make a left to get to where I want to go, The Navigation is telling me to make a RIGHT, which is the totally opposite direction of where I want to go, take the highway to the next exit, then turn AROUND to go back to where I want to go. I was like, what the hell ? and Option has nothing to do with this, I tried all option and its giving me the same crap. Probably has something to do with Tele Altas. but dude ...

- Unresponsive screen - Sometimes I have to push twice or 3 times before the touch screen "responds" to my request. Is this a firmware fault or its just the touch screen that they use suck ?

- Slow reaction between menus - Its not really that bad, and I understand this is a Flash memory product so it probably wont respond as fast as my Panasonic, which is based on HDD. but it can do a little better I think.

- 2D mode can only point north - Most of you know this already

- 3D mode slow and all of sudden changed to 2D - Compare to Panasonic, might have something to do with HDD vs Flash chips.

- Samantha sounds like a Robot - Jason is ok, but the female voice sounds like crap, might have something to do with TTS, Panasonic does not have TTS, but the female voice sound 100% better.

- No Asian language/font support - This might not be important to some, but very important to me. I have a lot of Asian music, Japanese, Chinese, Korean to name a few. iPod or mp3. all foreign language characters came out to be a Box. Just like Panasoinc. It might have something to do with Windows's language support. If they dont have space for those files. I dont need French voice or the Spanish voice. Cant Pioneer let people remove those and make room for something else ? I know Pioneer sells Navigation in Asian market too so dont bs me about "We dont know them"

- iPod Video does not work - I know this has to do with Apple, as they love to fuck customer's up. I dont own the iPod Touch (GF does) so this is not really that important to me.

- MSN Direct SUCK! - Everytime my car starts I have to wait at least couple of minutes before I can see anything in there. I tried the function in Manhattan tonight. and it should have the strongest signal(according to the coverage map it should be). I tried it around downtown, but ha! guess what. some places like Water ST or Church St actually has no bars! most of the time I got less than 2 bars. This thing is just like a cell phone, lower bars mean lower transfer speed, great, even slower updates. I found an area with Full bars. I let it sit so it can get information. but it still took 5 minutes before I can find something. Another BIG problem with MSN direct is that, its movie function is extremely USELESS. no matter how many times I tried I just cant find most big theaters on the list, for example, Kips bay, 34st, 42nd ST, AMC 86(iMax), Regal Union SQ, etc. oh no its not distance's problem. Cuz the list is showing me theaters thats like 30 miles away in Jersey. and Im only like 2 miles away from the closest theater that time. Its probably MSN direct's fault. or some contract issue. who knows. but I am not sure if I will renew after my 3 month trial period is over.

- BEEEEEP on EVERY FUXKING MENU OR CLICK! - GOD DAMN IT that shit is MAD annoying !!!!! GIVE US AN OPTION TO DISABLE IT ! I was really annoyed by this and I was about to swap the unit back to Panasonic just for this reason alone. Come on Pioneer ! You can do better than THAT ! EVEN MY STOCK RADIO HAS THE OPTION TO DISABLE BEEEEEEEEPING. JEEZE !

- Green Box thing on map even when you're not Navigating - what the hell ~ This is an OBVIOUS bug. What happen Pioneer?

Notice : Unit is Fully bypassed :) Thx to the folks here :)

These are all I can think of right now. hmm I will edit this post if I remember more.

Now Im thinking, if I knew MSN direct suck like this, I should get JVC or Kenwood. At least reviews are pretty positive for those 2 units. *sigh* oh well :(

- 3D mode slow and all of sudden changed to 2D

i noticed that too, it happens in my fiance's but not myne...whenever your next turn is 2+ miles away it automatically switches into 2D and then goes bak to 3D when you get closer

- No Asian language/font support

Pioneer doesnt support the Characters, the best you can do is write out the song title

- BEEEEEP on EVERY FUXKING MENU OR CLICK!

http://avic411.com/forum/viewtopic.php? ... took+beeps

Did you install the firmware update? I believe it fixes most, if not all, of these issues. Or at least makes these problems a bit more tolerable.

My unit came with updated firmware.

Wow, I cant imagine how piss off I would be if its still on original firmware ...

- 3D mode slow and all of sudden changed to 2D

i noticed that too, it happens in my fiance's but not myne...whenever your next turn is 2+ miles away it automatically switches into 2D and then goes bak to 3D when you get closer

Thats just retarded. Damn Pioneer.

- No Asian language/font support

Pioneer doesnt support the Characters, the best you can do is write out the song title

That suck. Now I am thinking can I get some kind of Asian version and flash it with their software or soemthing but US maps.

- BEEEEEP on EVERY FUXKING MENU OR CLICK!

http://avic411.com/forum/viewtopic.php? ... took+beeps

Thx for the link. but how hard it is for Pioneer to include an option of "Disable all Beeps" in their software? I mean really.

I used it a bit more before, The menu is pretty "slow" ... *sigh*