AVIC411.com

Navigation in NYC-Manhattan

Anyone have any problems using the nav in NYC, specifically manhattan? I tried using the nav for the first time while iw as down there, but the nav couldn't figure out what street I was on. It kept saying that I was on another nearby street (a block over) or on the street perpendicular to what i was on (at a stoplight).

The Nav kept switching back and forth, and I checked the sat. status and it said the accuracy was "Very High". I knew where I was going so it didn't screw me up, but if i didn't, it'd be a huge problem.

That is common for GPS in Manhattan regardless of the unit. The skyscrapers limited the line of site to the satellites depending upon where you are at. When they come back into view the GPS spends the time recalculating the position but often can not keep up with your travels. Unfortunetly you can't blame Pioneer or iGo for this one. Bottom line, don't rely on GPS in downtown NYC.

That is common for GPS in Manhattan regardless of the unit. The skyscrapers limited the line of site to the satellites depending upon where you are at. When they come back into view the GPS spends the time recalculating the position but often can not keep up with your travels. Unfortunetly you can't blame Pioneer or iGo for this one. Bottom line, don't rely on GPS in downtown NYC.

Understandable. I figured the amount of interference from taller buildings as well as general EMI from densely populated areas would disrupt any type of accuracy, but I just wanted to ask to make sure that it wasn't just my unit.

I understand the cause, but I'd like to poll others from the nyc area to see if they, too, have this problem.

wrong. My now-old Panasonic Strada never had a problem in Manhattan.

F90Bt has slow ass navigation, but I never have a problem driving around with it, downtown, midtown, uptown, no problem. you might want to check your connection or your GPS mount location.

Im thinking This F90BT in fact is not as good as my old Strada. The software suck, the Navigation slow (its accurate tho), it froze for a couple of times for no reason. *sigh*, it has more up to date maps and more features, but whats the point of it when almost all of them are not functioning correctly (or slowly, I mean WAY too slow. the performance is just unacceptable)

Now I really want to put my Strada back and sell this F90BT back out. sheesh.