AVIC411.com

F700 and VSS

So I'm looking to install my new F700 I just got and was reading that it doesn't require the VSS wire, only the 900 and 90 do. Anyone know why? I was under the impression that connecting the VSS wire allows for more accurate GPS tracking, so wouldn't that apply to the F700 as well. Or is this another "differentiator" where they are trying to get me to upgrade to a more expensive unit?

....I was under the impression that connecting the VSS wire allows for more accurate GPS tracking, so wouldn't that apply to the F700 as well. Or is this another "differentiator" where they are trying to get me to upgrade to a more expensive unit?

It would, but the 700 does not have a Vss input. You're right, that's one of the differences between the 700 and the 900/90

The 700 does not have dead reckoning, so if you drive in an area that has an obstructed view of the city (Manhattan, heavily forested areas, places with lots of tunnels, etc.) it will have a more difficult time tracking you.

Personally, I would spring for it (after owning an F700 for the last few months). That and the ability to add MSN Direct are worth it to me.