AVIC411.com

...I'm guessing the RCA outputs are used to enable video compatibility with the new ipods. On the D3, where it just used a single cable for everything, the ipod classics, ipod touch, and iphone would not send video.

Just a theory...

Thanks. I was able, though, to send vid from my 5G pod through the dock connector to the Jensen HU. You did have to operate video using the pod interface, unlike music, which you controlled via the HU touch screen. But maybe the RCA's enable full compatibility with all gen's in some way???

Considering the iPod dock connector (on the iPod) carries everything, audio, video, power, controls, etc etc, I suspect that the reason that Pioneer chose to do it the way they did, because it saved them money.

Doing it this way means that they can use basically an off-the-shelf cable for the iPod side. It means they don't need to use a special purpose connector on the radio side. It means they can use the same inputs for iPods as for any other A/V source, i.e. they didn't need to wire a second set of inputs that were strictly for the iPod.

They could have stuck an iPod dock connector on the back of the HU and just used a dock-to-dock wire. Much cheaper to just make people buy a $50 cable and use the existing RCA inputs.

Regarding Sirius, you might check to see if the antenna connection is tight. Also, make sure your antenna is in a good location on a metal surface. I started with mine on the dash, but I got a lot of dropouts whenever I drove into a heavily wooded area. I had it moved to the roof, and now get no dropouts. The antenna needs a clear sight to the sky, metal roofs and even metal based window tint can degrade the signal.