AVIC411.com

Questions before I buy

I have an oppurtunity to purchuse a used N1 from an aquaintance.
It is currently installed, and working properly.
I have intentions in installing this into my 86 Corvette convertable. I think that the vehicle dynamics are WAY cool, and thats my primary reason for picking the avic line.

Its got the original software in it (I'm, pretty sure).

I have a few questions before I actually do it though:
My 86 corvette does not appear to have a VSS wire. What does this control? (Assuming its part of the dynamics) If I need it for the dyn, Is there a workaround? What happens if its not hooked up.

When using nav, the DVD has to be in the player?? When the DVDs are in, is your only music option am/fm? If you have an Ipod interface, is that active as well? No MP3 CDs?

Before I buy it, is there anything that I should look for?

I have installed regular head units before, and from what ive read, the N1 is like any other head unit, but with several extra wires. Are there any tips/tricks that I should be aware of?

There wil be more questions, and I hope that this forum will be a great help in my decision.

More questions..
The brain has to be installed FLAT?
I cant hide it away (on its side) in the dash?
If it HAS to be flat, is it durable enough to sit 4-5 inches beneath a subwoofer (between the magnet, and the counstant pounding, I dont think thats prudent, but I dont know how resilient that unit is)
How long is the lead wire from, the HU to the brain, and alsoi the HU to the GPS unit?

Space in my car is VERY limited, and looking to tuck as much of this as possible away.
Thanks
I have an N-1. To respond to this question "When using nav, the DVD has to be in the player?? When the DVDs are in, is your only music option am/fm? If you have an Ipod interface, is that active as well? No MP3 CDs? "

You can put the nav dvd in, set it to where you want to go, and than take it out and listen to whatever you want. With the dvd in you can listen to fm/am/ or satelite radio. I always drive with my dvd disc in and i listen to sirius radio. Cant answer the ipod question.

Hope this helps
To answer some more of your questions.

The vss wire is very important for most of the vehicle dynamics to work accurately. Frrom what I've been able to find, no one lists a vss for your car. THere are options though, I forget who make it, but there is a piece availlible that straps to the drive shaft and generates a speedd sense signal that would be useable by the n1.

Once you set the destination for the navi, you can eject the cd and listen to regular cds, the radio, ipod, or whatever else you hook up to it. IF the n1 needs the map disc again it'll let you know.

As far as the install goes, really not that difficult if you think of it as putting in a radio and cd changer. The brain MUST be mounted within 15 degrees of horizontal, and the arrows on it must face the front and back of the car. As far as mounting it below a sub box, that shouldn't be a problem. What you can do is staple some metal screen to the bottom of the box and run a wire from that screen to ground. That will help block the magnetic field from the sub's magnet. The wire from the display to the brain is 10-12 ft. and the gps antenna lead is about 15-17ft long. Hope this answers all your quesitons.