AVIC411.com

Illumination wire not connected to anything

• 2 weeks later...

well....I had some time today (Thanksgiving in Canada) of all days to get back in there and play around. I had some extra wire left from the bypass after I cut the parking brake wire short to accommodate the bypass.

So, to ensure I can always reverse this install, and since I didn't have a crimp tool, I cut the crimp connector and manually connected the wires and taped it with electrical tape.

I then fed the wire down to the power led that lights up the cig. light. This light turns off when I switch the headlights off and turns on when I switch the lights on, so a perfect source for the day/night mode wire.

I looked at the connector and noticed there was enough room to feed the wire into the connector without crimping or wire-tapping. I tested the signal and noticed it was working, so I them electrically tapped the wires together so when putting the dash all back together, the wire wouldn't get loose.

After putting the dash back together, I tested it again and now the day/night mode works beautifully. Now, I just need to remember now to actually turn the headlight knob because I never used it before. :lol:

Paul

Daytime Running Lights are different the Automatic Headlights.

Daytime Running Lights by defenition are:

A daytime running lamp (DRL, also daylight running lamp or daytime running light) is a lighting device on the front of a roadgoing motor vehicle, installed in pairs, automatically switched on when the vehicle is moving forward, and intended to increase the conspicuity of the vehicle during daylight conditions.

Where as Automatic Headlights:

A system deployed in a a vehicle that will sense the current light conditions and turn on lights in the vehicle. Lights that are often included would be those on the front and rear of the vehicle along with interior dash lights.

As you can see if your lights (all of them) come on automatically then you would have automatic headlights. If your headlights came on when you turn on the car but it does not turn on your interior lights or your tail lights you would have Daytime Running Lights.

Even in cars that have automatic headlights you can override the settings and turn on the switch which would enable all of your lights. Most GM cars for the last 5-10 years have had some form of automatic lights.