AVIC411.com

Question with avic d3 install for 2007 audi a4

Hello guys I just recently had my avic d3 installed at Best buy. I'm going back on Friday because the bluetooth doesn't work. The wiring seems to be right according to the guy and the unit does make the call but I cant here anything when the call has been made. Any suggestions as to what is wrong?

Also, I was researching here about powering the unit w/o ignition. With my old stock symphony radio, when the key is in the off position the radio still works. But with this unit the radio only works when the key is in the on position or when you start the car. My car does not have an accerssory position. It has the off position, on position and start position. When I had my stock radio before the radio still works. The guy said he wired it like that because if he wired the red wire on the constant position then the system will be on every time and it will drain my battery. He said the avic d3 even when its off the screen is still on. If the red wire was wired on the constant position would the unit still be on even if the key wasnt on the ignition? I want the unit to act like the symphony. When its the key is in the off position I can still listen to my radio. With this unit I have to turn the car on or start the car to listen to my radio. It bothers me because at night if I want to listen to the radio without starting my car I cant. And If I turn on the car my drl lights will always on.

Id have to put a meter on your wiring of your car to see what he's talking about, but to me that makes no sense. He should have hooked the avic up the same way your old HU was hooked up (if it was hooked up correctly to start with that is). The car will control when theres power to the HU. I asume you're talking about that the HU would stay on after you turned off the car until you open the doors or whatever correct? If not you could always put a switch somewhere that would allow you to flip it on and have the HU work. Then if you forgot to turn off the switch after and killed your battery it would be your own stupidity.

Your car sends the signal to the stock radio via the CAN-BUS network. You can not tap into it for that feature but if you take off the bottom piece of your steering column you can find a connector that has wires running to the key cylinder and in that bundle their is a wire known as the key sense wire. Which does exactly what it sounds like it senses when the key is in the ignition. When it senses the key is there it completes the circuit giving you 12v power to the radio. I know on my Jetta it was a brown wire with a red stripe. I am not sure what color yours is. The best thing would be to get a Bently Repair manual to find out which wire you would need to tap into. I would also recommend that you solder the connection instead of using tape or a wire tap because without that wire your alarm will not function right. If you have your parking break pulled it will disengage your DRLs. It took me about about 15 mins to fix mine to run with the key sense wire.

He should have hooked the avic up the same way your old HU was hooked up (if it was hooked up correctly to start with that is). The car will control when theres power to the HU.
He would need a digital processor to achieve it through Audi CAN-BUS system.
I asume you're talking about that the HU would stay on after you turned off the car until you open the doors or whatever correct?

Flipper yes your correct.

I want to know For ppl that have the avic d3 on their audi, when the ignition is in the off position and the key still in the ignition, are you able to still listen to your radio? When the key is out of the ignition will your unit still stay on?

It depends on how you have it set up. If you have it hooked to key sense wire you will have power at the HU until the key is removed. If you have it hooked up to a 12V switched source you will loose power as soon as the key is in the off position. I have installed about 15 units in VW's and Audis and have never had a problem.