AVIC411.com

Antenna Question

My F700BT should be here Wednesday and I am going to do the isntall myself. I have been reading on the forums quite a bit and I see a number of post referring to an antenna adapter. Is this for the FM radio or is it an adapter if I want HD Radio? If it is for the standard FM radio, what kind of adapter would I need and why would I need one?

Thanks,

Scott

The head unit has one connection for an antenna to be connected. If you are getting an HD radio tuner, it needs it's own (antenna connection that is). Therefore, even though the HD tuner COMES with its own antenna cord, you will need an "antenna splitter" to be able to connect yours car's antenna connection to both of them at the same time.

Some model cars (I had an Infiniti) need what is called an "antenna adapter" that first connects to the cars connection and then to the head unit. This is due to some manufacturers antenna connections not matching to Pioneer head units.

I hope this helps as I had the antenna adapter ordered and ready when I did my install, but was unaware of needing the antenna splitter, and had to wait a day or two until I could locate one.

Cheers,

Kev

You're welcome scotty

Hard to say about the antenna fitting your new F700 head unit, since with everything in life, there are no guarantees. But one would think so as it is another Pioneer unit.

Glad you found out about the splitter - kinda cheesed me off the day I was doing my install, though I was able to locate the connections I needed to a fairly easily accessable place so once it arrived, it wasn't too bad to hook up.

Cheers,

Kev