AVIC411.com

2005 4Runner replacing factory nav...

I currently own a 2005 4Runner with factory Navigation. I am contemplating purchasing the Avic-F90BT.

One of my main questions is, is it possible to hook my factory camera into the unit, or do I need to buy the Pioneer camera module?

Also to get steering wheel controls to work, is the PAC SWI-X pretty much the best way to go?

And 3rdly, is it possible to wire in my factory GPS Antenna?

Any insight on any of these questions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!

-Sean

I can help you answer the factory GPS antenna queston. Yes it is possible to use the factory installed GPS. I've done this myself for my Mercedes CLK430. The only problem you'll run into is that the connector on your factory antenna might be different than the one used by the Pioneer. I believe the one used by the pioneer is a Fakra.

The way I over came the different connectors was to cut the wire of the pioneer unit, close to the actual antenna (the black puck like device), being careful to leave a generous portion of wire attached to the connector, in case of an error. Remember it is always better to have and not need, than to need and not have. After cutting the pioneer gps antenna, I then proceeded to cut the end off the factory gps antenna (in this case cut as close to the factory antenna connector as possible).

Now you want to join the pioneer connector to the factory gps antenna buy splicing them together. Start off by exposing the shield and conductor of both the pioneer wire and factory wire. In order to get the best signal possible and minimize signal attenuation,you want to connect both shields to one another, as well as both conductors to one another.

The method of connecting them, I'll leave up to you. Depending on the size of your cables you can go to radio shack and purchase sma connectors or tnc connectors along with an appropriate coupler. Both connectors are rated at 50ohm impedance and can handle a signal of at least 2GHZ. This should be ample as the maximum frequency of the gps satellites is around 1.6gHz.

Before you go through the tough part of putting on your connectors of choice, I would twist tie the shield and the conductors to the factory shield and conductors, in order to determine your signal strength.

I must say my signal strength was very high. I was able to connect to 10 satellites. My signal strength and accuracy was also high.

Once again remember all GPS antennas must use the same technology, since they all must connect to the same gps satellites. Only the connectors very. The only exception I can think of is if your factory GPS antenna is very old and therefore is on able to tune into the higher frequency of the newer satellites, but I doubt that to be the case. Your 4runner would have to be pretty ancient for that to be the case.

I was very happy that I could utilize the above solution, as it saved my having to pull another cable. It also helped me preserver my OEM factory look.

Good luck and if there is anything that is not clear, or I might have left out please ask away.

One further note. If you some how mess up and need to get another Pioneer GPS antenna, you can call the pioneer help line and they will gladly sell you one for $40.