AVIC411.com

help installing on 07 mustang w/shaker 500

hey guys and gals, i'm Tony. i just got my first avic unit last friday and i cant wait to start playing arround with it! it is my first avic unit i have ever had. its an F700BT. i am planning on installing soon and need some help.

ok, so i am going to do the mute wire bypass and ground it and the parking brake wire with the actual ground wire in the metra harness. but i have some questions.

1)where do i connect the vss (speed wire)? i was told the blue wire on the pcm, is this right?

2)should i use a fixed voltage regulator from radio shack or a resistor to drop the amp turn on signal to 5 volts for the factory amps?

i want to install next weekend, so if i could get some help and build the harness before then, it would save me a lot of headaches and time. and plus, then i can start figuring out the "hacking" thing and get a cool background image after i install the 2.0 firmware update.

thanks

--Tony

hey guys and gals, i'm Tony. i just got my first avic unit last friday and i cant wait to start playing arround with it! it is my first avic unit i have ever had. its an F700BT. i am planning on installing soon and need some help.

ok, so i am going to do the mute wire bypass and ground it and the parking brake wire with the actual ground wire in the metra harness. but i have some questions.

1)where do i connect the vss (speed wire)? i was told the blue wire on the pcm, is this right?

2)should i use a fixed voltage regulator from radio shack or a resistor to drop the amp turn on signal to 5 volts for the factory amps?

i want to install next weekend, so if i could get some help and build the harness before then, it would save me a lot of headaches and time. and plus, then i can start figuring out the "hacking" thing and get a cool background image after i install the 2.0 firmware update.

thanks

--Tony

I would go with the voltage regulator. Using resistors alone, will not generate the desired voltage levels, particularly if you do not know the loading affects of the amplifier.

thanks, i will do that. any advice on the vss wire connection? the only reason i ask is because somebody told me that i can use the existing wire for the speed volume control, but i thought that was a can bus wire.

Before you get in too deep, the F700BT doesn't use the VSS connection, there's no place for it in the harness, nor would it work if you added wires, it's not part of its features.

You need to be in the F90BT or F900BT to get VSS support, so no need to overthink this install.

Diane

isnt the vss wire uses for the gps nav? the f700 has nav (as im sure you allready know). i was under the impression that the vss wire was needed for accurate nav positioning, is that true?

if the f700 doesnt have/need it and the f90 and 900 have it, what is it for?

According to the f700 installation manual, quoted below, the VSS is not used. As you might be aware the VSS sensor makes navigation more accurate as well as increase the volume of your HU the faster you go. If greater accuracy and dynamic volume control is important to you, you should consider the higher models, particularly if you haven't made a purchase yet.

"This connection is unnecessary for AVIC-F700BT and AVIC-F7010BT."

"This connection is unnecessary for AVIC-F700BT and AVIC-F7010BT."

Not just "unnecessary" but not even supported by the hardware, so even if you added the wire back into the harness so it matches the F9x series, it would do nothing.

There are posts here from folks that have done just that on a F700BT, and those were the results, a whole lot of nothing!

• 4 weeks later...

OneBad:

Not sure if you completed install but I can help with the ILL wire if necessary. PM me. I went through the same question while installing the FH-P8000BT. Nice unit but the 3-line UI is not very functional for its multiple features.

I'm new to the AVIC board and will be installing my F700BT tomorrow. Besides the hardware bypass and a couple of extra wires I'm expecting it to go smoothly.

One question: Where are Mustang owners tapping the purple reverse gear signal wire? Or without a backup camera is it even necessary? I can't imagine that backing out of my driveway is going to confuse the nav system too much :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi, just bought a 2009 GT Mustang with a Shaker 500 6 speakers system and also bought a pioneer AVIC-F700BT aftermarket head unit, would like to replace it myself but don't know how, specially the harness.

Did you completed your install?, please let me know how you did it.

Thnks.