AVIC411.com

some questions on hacks and mods

why do the stop nav. button hack? and the mute nav. button? quick launch buttons?linear compass?themes? i have the f700bt and learning about it real quick. some of the posts in the hack forums talk about doing certain mods that sound cool but i can't figure out what they are trying to replace or fix. i installed the unit myself, and have done the software and the wire bypass updates and the firmware update from pioneer. i also figured out how to put a custom pic on the startup screen. thanks for any help. james

Simply: Why not?

In reality, the stock setup isnt perfect. Since the unit can be hacked, why not make it perfect. Or better yet, perfect for the specific user. The half dozen mods Ive done in the week and a half Ive owned my 700 have all been to make the unit more friendly for me by either eliminating steps in processes (delete route button in the route info screen), adding features I think are cool (altimeter), or adding functions that should have been part of the unit from the factory (nav voice mute button on the map).

To answer your question, people are replacing, fixing, or adding things that they dont want, dont like, or wish they had.

Your question was generic, as was my answer. Most of the mods are self-explanatory or the threads about them say what they do, why they were done, and other things of that nature.

So again Ill say: People do the mods to make the unit better as per their personal preferences. They add features they want, change ones they dont like as they are, and remove features they dont want.

Anything more detailed is best searched for in the individual mod threads or by asking the creator.

i understand Why people are doing the mods. my question was what are they trying to accomplish by doing the mods? what are they trying to get rid of? what are they trying fix? what does the stop nav do? questions like that.

Try using the unit and you will find out real quick.

ok i still dont think you understand my question. i don't know much about the unit except for the stereo and music part. i understand pretty much all there is to know about set up,amps,crossovers,eq settings things like that. my question revolves around my lack of knowledge on what the button do to begin with and why you want to change them. i hope you understand where i am coming from. thanks (and i am not trying to be an asshole)

As stated above, the mods are self expiatory. Your questions are very elementary and indicate you have not bothered to learn the unit before posting new threads that already cover the material. I suggest you plot a route somewhere with the nav system and drive around. It should soon become apparent, based on the mods you ask about, what they are used for.

well thanks for nothing. just so you know, i have had the unit for about 4 months, i have played around with all the system settings, nav. settings and phone settings. i have used the unit and t have been to almost all the different threads on this forum that pertain to the different questions i have and they don't all explain what the thing they are trying to hack did in the first place. what i have run across is a bunch of stupid remarks from dumbass people that think they know everything about this unit and everyone else that has a question i sooooo stupid that they don't know shit. try understanding that people are on this forum to find questions to problems that they are having and that their knowledge might not be as good as yours when it comes to this stereo.

If youre going to ask a question, then at least ask an intelligent question that can actually be answered, and ask it in the right place, like the thread(s) pertaining to the hack you have a question about.

As it is, your questions are too vague to be answered and you are doing nothing to make them any more specific.

Ill leave you with this:

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt . -- George Eliot

to bad you opened yours and stuck your foot in it. i DID ask a certain question and you did not answer it . look at the first post, i asked what does the stop nov. hack actually do?

Ill be the bigger person here and chose to ignore the first part.

Now lets dissect the hack. "stop nav". Two words. One a verb, the other a noun. Using basic grammar and logic skills, one can safely assume that the "stop nav" hack gives you the control to stop the navigation.

Dude stop being a dick. I know everything about this unit, and in your 4 months of owning it, you seem to know not one thing. People do these hacks to make using it much easier. Delete route button on the map is so they don't have to press menu, then desination, then delete route. Theme's are so people can make the unit look the way they want it to look. Linear compass gives you an exact direction. Nav mute is so they don't have to hear a reminder every 20 seconds. The list goes on, just do some research. But take it from me, if you continue to talk to other members like that don't expect much help in the future.

-CMIYC