AVIC411.com

IPOD ARTISTS PLAYLISTS

[quote name="Slick 6MT"]http://www.avic411.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1922&highlight=ipod

Search is your friend.[/quote]

...which in this case leads him to a thread that does not answer his question. There's no way that I can see that a playlist will show anything other than songs, even if you creat a Smary Playlist organized by "artists whose names start with A...." You will still be presented a combined list of songs from all artists who begin with A.

It would be nice if it were otherwise, but the real culprit is Pioneer's piss-poor implementation of the iPod interface.
[quote name="thrang"]...which in this case leads him to a thread that does not answer his question. [/quote]

It absolutely answers his question. He asked this: "Has anyone found a better solution?"

The first post in the thread I linked him says this: "I have over 9000 songs on my ipod and the interface is very slow. So what I did was made 27 Genre's (#, A-Z) then I can search via Genre and then it is a little faster to find what I want to listen to. Lot's of work, but worth it in the end."

This is the best way to make the iPod interface nice and easy. He asked a question and I answered it. Nice and easy. :wink:
it seems that the only way to list the Artist name instead of Songs while browsing is to use the "Artists" section of the BROWSE fucntion.
whatever playlist you create on ur IPOD, its content will always be displayed by Song names on the AVIC...
Using the "Artists" section is not that bad: I noticed that when at the top of the list, if you hit the upper arrow it will take you to the very bottom of the list: that way you dont have to scroll all the way down if u r looking for Artisits starting with Z for instance...it makes it a little more useable...
[quote name="matthieuallie"]i guess using the Genres method works but it means creating as many Genres as Artists...that kind of screw up you IPOD...sorting by genre on the ITUNES or IPOD itself will shows tons of Genres which are not Genre but Artists... plus this means the actual genre of the song (Rock, Alternative , Metal, Classical...) is overwritten by the Artist name...so u basically lose the Genre information...
Am I missing sthg here?
thx[/quote]

1. You're not using as many Genres as Artists. There will be 27 Genres (A-Z and #) and that's way better than having to scroll through the 217 Artists that I have.

2. It doesn't screw anything up.

3. I personally never paid attention to the "Genre" aspect of each song, that's why it worked perfectly for me. I use playlists for different types of music.

Does this make sense?
Slick 6MT,

Thanks for the explanation...
My mistake, only 27 Genres (A-Z and #) as you said...
If you never use the "real" Genre, then I guess it makes sens...
But you still have to go thru Genres, then select lest's say "G" and then browse thru the artist names starting with G...
The more artists you have the more sens it makes...
I'd say with 100 or so different Artists, it's not worth it and one might has well use the existing "Artists" section. With 200+ artists like you have, then yes, this method is the best.

Thanks!
-Matt