AVIC411.com

High Pass Filter question

I was hoping for a little information. I am a novice when it comes to installing sound systems. My car, a 2002 mustang, with the mach 460 sound system, has 4 tweeters, and 4 subs (attached to two amps). I intend to hook the amplified outputs, with high pass filters, to the tweeters, and the non-amplified front/rear outputs to my Amps/Subs.

In the manual it says that the high pass filter can be set to front or rear speakers. Is it referring to the amplified or non amplified outputs? Or is it really dependant on whether the output is designated front/rear?

Basically, what specific outputs does the high pass filter apply to?

Apologies if this is an obvious question, I have searched for awhile and cannot find the info. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

the HPF controlls both (amp'ed outputs and preouts for the front and rear)

the LPF controlls the sub out (pre-amped)

metra makes a Mach harness, 70-5519, wire it up and plug it in, just plug the factory subs into the sub output from the deck, then use the HPF for the tweeters and the LPF for the subs

Thanks, that was what I needed. I have the harness.

I'll split the preamp sub output and send it to the 4 subs(LPF), then use the amplified output for the 4 tweeters(HPF), and I guess I don't need the front and rear preamp outputs.

Thanks again, I appreciate it.

The mach460 system is generally described as having 4 tweeters (2 in front, 2 in back) and 4 subs (2 in front, two in back). I thought they were midranges at first...maybe they are close, but every tech reference I find on them says that they are subs (low freq).

No, this system does not have a set of large subwoofers in the trunk though.

Reccomended filters from mustang tech boards are HPF 170hz tweeters, and LPF 50hz subs.

http://www.flemworld.com/Mach460/Mach.html