AVIC411.com

Bypass Issue Resolved - 2006 Ford Escape

Hi all!

I have been lurking here for a month and finally decided to post after I installed the AVIC-f700BT. After reading all the info, I jumped into the install and had no issues except for one. When I removed the mute wire and reinserted it, I found that the bypass did not work. After consulting the aged wisdom here again, I realized that there was no reason it shouldn't work, if done properly. Therefore, I knew that I had done it wrong. Armed with my DMM I found that the mute wire was badly mangled when I did the pin insertion. Desperate, I took the power antennae wire and inserted into the 4th pin spot and grounded it (as I do not have a power antennae). Put it all back in and VIOLA! it worked great.

Couple of other things: a) I put the mike at the leading edge of the sunroof opening. works great. B) Best Buy gave me the 16 pin connector to attach to my harness... wrong! for 2006 and greater, has the 25 pin connector and the 4 pin/ RCA connector. Had to go to Cartunes in Detroit to get it. c) Dash kit for the Escape is very diffacult to find. I bought one on Ebay and I'll see how it looks. c) ton of wires behind the HU ... a real mess d) the antenae for the Sirius and GPS I located on the driver side above the VIN inside the vehicle. Works great.. not excited about appearance. Some say mount under the top of the dash on the top of the radio. When I tried to do this, I could not get them in there. Obviously no clearance from the front and no room to get my arm up there from the bottom. Anyone else find a different way?

Question for Escape Owners: How did you secure the HU if you have those funky clips at the side? What dash kit did you use?

Again, thanks for all the advice.

Parting shot: Even if you're a newb.. use the search.. everything is here!!! Also.. if the hardware bypass does not work, honestly it means you screwed something up ... double check it.

• 2 weeks later...