AVIC411.com

PANIC! I am unsure the 700BT will fit into my Explorer!

PANIC! I am unsure the 700BT will fit into my Explorer!

(2000 AWD EB edition V8 5L)

It cannot fit from the front that is for sure. The molded lip/frame is too small.

So I got the trim kit that allows you to install it in the back and has plastic side plates/brackets that hold it to the frame and you screw them into the radio.

I thought sweet that will work!

My problem is the front of the 700BT is too large as well from the rear! I cannot see a way to get this to fit in there without dremmeling the factory frame away! Then I have to be careful to leave a bit for the plastic brackets to hold on to...

It is the top and bottom. It is simply too narrow. Even the smaller very front of the 700 where it is beveled won't fit vertically.

The sides just fit. It is snug with the plastic brackets but I think that will work fine. This radio should fit but now I am scared I bought all of this for nothing, or I just cut out the frame on the top and bottom.

Damn I thought this stuff was standard, double DIN and all of that!

Ideas???

the 2nd gen explorer is a double din but not a true double din you will have to trim the bezal there is no way around it every 2nd gen you will have to do this they didnt go to a true double din fit until the 3rd gen

What he said, it's pretty common for all ford's. I had to do the same thing to my '03 F150. Dremeled the bottom lip flush, and then cut maybe a 1/4" into the top. Don't touch the sides though. And use flush mount screws to attach the plastic clips to the F Series.

EDIT: It looks like you got it.

the 2nd gen explorer is a double din but not a true double din you will have to trim the bezal there is no way around it every 2nd gen you will have to do this they didnt go to a true double din fit until the 3rd gen

What he said, it's pretty common for all ford's. I had to do the same thing to my '03 F150. Dremeled the bottom lip flush, and then cut maybe a 1/4" into the top. Don't touch the sides though. And use flush mount screws to attach the plastic clips to the F Series.

I just bought one of the F700's for my 04 F250 SuperDuty. Will I have to do this customization to make it fit? Does anyone have any pics showing the work required?

Thanks,

Steve

I just bought one of the F700's for my 04 F250 SuperDuty. Will I have to do this customization to make it fit? Does anyone have any pics showing the work required?

Thanks,

Steve

The short answer is I'm not sure, there are some pics on the F150 specific forums. Basically these customizations are required to fit any aftermarket DDIN stereo, it's not specific to Pioneer and/or the F-Series. It's been done lots of times before, it's pretty easy and once you take your dash apart I'm sure you'll see what has to be done. The reason I'm not sure about your '04 is because they restyled the half ton's in '04 and not sure when they updated the superduty's as well.

Thanks,

Steve

I did my F250 2 weekend's ago. You need to take dash cover completely off. Remove the plastic from the top and bottom of the radio opening - don't touch the sides. When you remove the factory radio you will find 2 screws that must be removed to pull the dash cover off and discard since there is no way to reinstall them when you put the 700 in. The rest of the dash cover is held in by spring clips so be careful when prying it off. Sorry I don't have pictures. To make things easier I would remove the lower trim panel and also drop the glove box door out of the way. Use one of the radio install kits found on ebay to mount it in the dash cover then re-install the cover on the dash pulling the wiring in from the glovebox and lower panel access.