AVIC411.com

AVIC F90BT Install Help!

Hey Guys,

I am new to all this stuff, but I need some major advice/pointers from the experts here :) This is going to be a long post because I want to make sure I include all the info you would need to answer correctly. I want to install my AVIC -F90BT into my Saturn Astra. So, Ive got everything I need pretty much. What ive chosen to do is keep my steering wheel controls so I got a connects2 canbus to iso adapter from the UK for my vehicle which is the easiest way to do this without splicing wires and finding ignition lives etc. Since the endings are ISO, and the wiring harness provided from pioneer in North America doesnt have iso endings like they do in the UK/Europe, and has the "raw" wires to solder, I had 2 choices to connect my Unit. I could cut off the male ISO ends of my connects2 adapter, and solder/crimp wire for wire to my pioneer harness, OR I could get a pioneer to iso adapter, which would replace the pioneer harness that came with the unit, and fit into the male iso ends of the connects 2, and then fit into the power plugin on the back of the f90bt. I chose to do this since its cleaner, and that adapter cost the same as buying some bullet connectors anyways, plus Im a noob and its less for me to mess up lol.

With me so far? lol Ok bear with me, Im giving all the background info so you know as much as I can tell you to make helping me hopefully a little easier lol.

So, right now everything should be fairly plug and play with my 2 adapters. Connects2 goes into the car harness, the iso to pioneer plugs into that, and the pioneer end plugs into the back of the unit. But, I want to do the hack. So, I have to read up on this again but if I remember correctly, its simply moving the mute wire, the yellow and black wire, from its current pin, into a lower pin between 2 black wires right? (1st row, 1st pin to the 2nd row 4th pin) If thats the case, those 2 black wires each go one into the RCA front output, and the RCA rear output. Is that right? (Just so I know the 2 wires its in between) Then, once this is done and you have moved the yellow/black wire to its new location, I need to ground the parking brake light green wire to the black ground wire right? What exactly is the best way to ground these (Easiest/Cleanest). Also, do these have to be connected to anywhere in the car, or just connected to each other and left alone as is?? (Remember, noob).

Ok remember from my Connects2, everything is in iso connection except the 3 loose wires as you can see in the picture, the parking brake, reverse gear, and Speed Signal. Im not installing a rear camera right now, and I dont really care about connecting the speed signal. However, If I didnt connect them, is it ok to just leave them as is, just left hanging? Do I need to do anything to them? Is that even safe? (Like I said, complete noob and I just wanna be sure everything is safe and nothing short circuits or catches fire haha).

Now heres where it gets confusing. Since I am using the Pioneer to ISO adapter instead of the original pioneer harness, I have checked all the wiring is the same, but the black ground wire that I am supposed to ground the parking brake wire to, is a part of the iso plugin that plugs into the back of my pioneer unit. Do I still ground off of this? How?

Ok, now last is the most difficult question I have. I want to try to keep the Onstar active if theres any way possible, without too much playing with wires. My Onstar as Ive been told uses pin 34 (PH+ on my wiring diagram) so ive been told, and also that the left onstar module (L-VCIM) will apply a voltage signal to pin 11 (which I believe is the tele mute pin) of the radio to mute the existing source and switch to the single channel onstar input. The PH+ and PH- are the low level audio for Onstar, and the Tele Mute lead throws a ground when Onstar is activated. If I wanted to keep Onstar. anyone have any ideas what I would have to do?

I have attached pictures of my original radio wiring diagram so you know whats in the harness, and a pic of the connects2 adapter, and the iso to pioneer adapter.

Thanks so much for any help you can give!!

EDIT: Forgot to mention this stuff in case it helps:

in the brown iso the white and black wire = telemute on car harness (Connects 2)

in the brown iso the green and black = ground on car harness (Connects2)

ph + and ph - not used by the connects 2 adapter.

connects2 (16 pins, 4 across, 4 down)

blue grey purple purple

nothing white gray gray

yellow/yellow(2) nothing white n black white

nothing black/black(2) green n black green

** bottom black wire of the connects2 is the black wire correlating to the black ground wire on the pioneer power harness, which on my pioneer to iso harness is in the brown iso connector.

Wiring diagram:

radiopics002.jpg

Car harness:

radiopics008.jpg

radiopics009.jpg

Connects2 Canbus to ISO Adapter:

cords002.jpg

Pioneer to Iso Adapter:

isotopioneer.jpg