AVIC411.com

Battery died right after installing D3

I did a test run with the D3, only power installed and no remote turn on wire hooked up, so my amps were off, and I drove from my house to Sears (about a 15 minute drive) with the unit on the whole way. When I came back from Sears (10 minutes in the store), I put the key in and put it in the on position to prime the fuel pump. I knew immediately what happened... pump started to fill, normal ding, lights dim a little and DAMNIT! Battery is dead. Click, click. I unhook the harness to the D3 and still click, click. I pop the trunk (its a bmw, battery is in the trunk) and get ready to have to jump the battery, and about 30 second later the lights come back a little. It finally starts.

Why?! Why?! After all this cutting and mangling of my dash to make the double-din mounting kit fit, I learn its going to drain my battery?

The car is an E39 BMW 540i. The battery is fairly new (3 months perhaps) and is still good as far as I can tell.

I'm using a (I believe Metra brand) harness that hooks into my where my factory radio did. I only hooked up power, ground, illumination and one other one that I'm now forgetting.

Also, how do you turn the unit completely off while you're driving?

• 3 weeks later...