AVIC411.com

Issue reading USB if stick plugged in on power up?

Someone may know this more than I do, it would appear that if you have a USB stick plugged into the Unit (F700) and you power up the unit it won't read the USB stick with music on it? I changed the way Leetlauncher is using music to stop the constant access of the SD card so the IGO software had full use of it. I moved about 4 gigs of songs to an 8 GIG USB stick. I noticed that LL would come on, it could read the stick but no audio on the music. So I went back to the basic Pioneer unit and ran a few tests. It appears that if the USB stick is plugged in when you power the unit on it won't read it, its greyed out. But if you power the unit on and either plug the stick in after or remove and plug back in then it reads it fine. Normal operation or Pioneer issue?

Actually, it is a problem with Windows CE and some USB FLASH drives.

I am having this problem too. When you say it is a problem with WinCE and some flash drives, can I assume that other flash drives will work OK on bootup? If so, is it brand/chipset specific or just "hit & miss"? I'd really love to not have to open my glove box, unplug & replug my USB stick every dang time I start my car. :evil:

It has to be only some USB pen drives. I leave mine plugged in 24x7 and haven't had any issues. I have 2 that I use on a regular basis. One is a 1Gb Data Traveller, and the other is a 2Gb one that was a Promotional one for an environmental company. They both work fine, I only unplug them if I want to listen to something on the other drive, or If my daughter wants to listen to stuff on her iPod.

The only thing I've noticed is that music takes longer to start playing if you shut it down when listening to the USB drive. So now, I just switch back to FM as I make the turn onto my street.

It has to be only some USB pen drives. I leave mine plugged in 24x7 and haven't had any issues. I have 2 that I use on a regular basis. One is a 1Gb Data Traveller, and the other is a 2Gb one that was a Promotional one for an environmental company. They both work fine, I only unplug them if I want to listen to something on the other drive, or If my daughter wants to listen to stuff on her iPod.

The only thing I've noticed is that music takes longer to start playing if you shut it down when listening to the USB drive. So now, I just switch back to FM as I make the turn onto my street.

what i'vs noticed is whenever i use my 1gig flash drive it reads it right away on boot up, but when i use my 16g it will stay greyed out even if i waited forever,

Did you try this? viewtopic.php?t=23624

This worked GREAT! Thanks.

In a nutshell, I reformatted the USB drive as FAT32 with a cluster size of 32K (using the windows command prompt).

Simply right clicking on the drive in windows XP to format will only format the disk as NTFS. From the command prompt, you can format it in FAT32, but you must also specify a cluster size of 32K. (The pioneer unit uses WinCE which has difficulty reading cluster sizes over 32K. Many USB sticks come formatted with 64K clusters)

To properly reformat the drive, get to the command prompt of Windows and type this:

format /FS:FAT32 /A:32K /Q

NOTE: substitute the USB stick's drive letter for "" above. for example, if your USB stick shows up as drive E on your system, type:

format E: /FS:FAT32 /A:32K /Q

Works like a charm. :)