AVIC411.com

AVIC-F90BT and Movies in my IPod

First off I owe everyone here a bit thank you as I am a lurker but have used information here to really expand my knowledge and mods on my F90BT. My install went flawless and after putting some research time in here, went out and bought a 160 GB ipod to store my movies on. Everyone shows up and my movies play great. This leads me to my current predicament-

I convert my movie into MP4 format using Videora iPod Converter. When I turn on an iPod movie, let it play for a while, then turn the truck off- when I turn the head unit back on- the movie does not resume from where it stopped. Is this normal?

Also via the iPod navigational features I am unable to scroll through a movie to the desired location. Is this normal?

Thanks for your help in advance.

Both are normal, as far as I can tell. I use Videora as well and I have not found a way to keep the chapter info in place on an MP4 file.

EDIT: A quick Google search shows that you CAN keep chapter info on an MP4, not an AVI, but seems a little more complex than I care to deal with right now.

I use Handbrake to encode my DVD's to MP4 and I get the chapter information. It is a free program that works great, multiple core aware and everything, runs on Win and OS X and I think Linux too. On my 8 core Mac Pro it takes about 20 minutes to rip a DVD to H264 MP4. I don't know if I can post a link but if you Google "Handbrake" it's the first thing that comes up.

The latest version will also re-encode any video file on your computer, but you won't get chapter info.

If you want to do Blu-Ray I use a couple programs for this. ANYDVD, to decrypt the Blu-Ray disc, and Ripbot264 to convert it to an H264 MP4. Ripbot is free but ANYDVD is not (Costs like $80), and is the only program that will decode Blu-Ray at this time. It's Windows only and you need a pretty powerful computer if you want it to finish within a copule hours. It get's the file size way down and still retains HD quality. My file size output from this program is around 2-3GB and that's coming from a 50GB Blu-Ray Disc.