AVIC411.com

Just curious.

I was just thinking about all the F-series that have had problems, ether continuous boot up loops or just not working right.

I'm just wondering, out of the people that have had problems; are the majority using hacked DATA.zip's or just the regular Pioneer stock software?

I haven't had any problems with mine yet running the stock DATA.zip.

I'm also not saying that running hacked software is the cause of Pioneers F-series problems.

I guess i am just comparing to things like computers and cell phones. I know with some cell phones i had in the past running windows software, i hacked around with it and sometimes would have problems of rebooting and freezing or just lagging really slow. Usually because the processor speed was not meant to handle the mods i was doing, causing it to have problems.

Or another good example would be a computer that works perfect for web browsing and word processing. However, can't handle a video game, or Photoshop. Thus causing it to lag or freeze up due to slow processor speed, cheap video cards and lack of memory that some of these programs require.

I do like some of the DATA.zip hacks out there, i just gotten so used to the stock Pioneer one that i haven't changed it at all.

I guess what i'm getting at is maybe these F-series can't handle some of the beautiful mods out there. Or maybe the units are just "working to hard."

I dunno, what do you guys think?

The units are buggy, dude. Plain and simple. People have set out to hack things to fix the things that don't make sense to us. For example, why does the bluetooth popup cover up the route info box when you are being routed somewhere? I'm ALWAYS asked on the phone "When will you get here?"

...so I moved the box!

Why does the nav voice talk so often? So I added the button to mute it when I want to.

Why is there no easy way to cancel a route without digging through the menu? So I added a button on the screen.

Why is there a huge clock in the top right of the screen that you can barely read - when I have a GOOD clock in my car 4 inches away from the on-screen one? So I removed the clock.

What if I don't want to see the map scale? So I removed it.

Why does the Route Info box still take up a lot of screen real estate when you're not even being routed somewhere? So I call a script to hide it.

The 'hacks' listed above aren't going to affect any performance - they're just moving things around the screen so that it makes more sense to me. With these (and a few others) I have seen no decrease so far in reliability - if anything, the system is MUCH more usable now. Now, replacing images to make things look different? Sure, if you don't have them in the right format or bit depth or something I guess it could have an impact...