AVIC411.com

Voice Recognition Indexing

I am using an iPod, which has quite a few tracks on it (~5500) and every time I turn the deck on, it does the VR Indexing. I thought that it would just do this once, and be done with it, but it updates every time. So, I turned off the setting to index every time, but my Voice Recognition for artists and albums no longer works. Do I have to leave this on (have it index every time I turn my car on) if I want to utilize the VR for my iPod? Or is there a setting to force it to remember its index?

Make sure you have firmware 2.0 on the unit and no, the catalog setting should on be turned on only when you add new content to your ipod and be turned off otherwise.

Hmm... odd, I definately have firmware 2.0... It indexed once and worked fine, then i turned it off and it hasn't worked since then... Also interesting is that it can't index if you use something other than iTunes to get your songs onto your iPod (like WinAmp for example), and a variety of other iPod specific functions fail as well (like the letter searching). I thought I had fixed this by removing all my music, and putting it back on using iTunes (ohhh how I hate iTunes) but it failed about 80% through... I dunno, I'll try again...

My ipod has never seen iTunes and works fine. I use Sharepod to sync it. It takes a good 5 minutes to index 7000 songs. Be patient and let it finish WITHOUT touching the avic. Once it is done, turn off VR Catalog until you add more music to the ipod.

My ipod has never seen iTunes and works fine. I use Sharepod to sync it. It takes a good 5 minutes to index 7000 songs. Be patient and let it finish WITHOUT touching the avic. Once it is done, turn off VR Catalog until you add more music to the ipod.

Interesting, I'll give that a try. Thanks!

I have the same problem, the VR only works if I index the songs each time. If I dont and I push in the volume button to activate the VR it does nothing.

I can get to the Voice Recognition screen, but, if I say "Play Artist Nine Inch Nails" or something like that, it just says "Playing All Artists"

I can get to the Voice Recognition screen, but, if I say "Play Artist Nine Inch Nails" or something like that, it just says "Playing All Artists"

It will do that if it can't match your pronunciation to a band it knows, and I've also found it will do that for everything if its VR database doesn't match the songs on the ipod.

After letting it run VR Catalog, see if it can find an easy name,

If you pull your ipod every night and update outside the car, it will want VR update with every change.

It will do that if it can't match your pronunciation to a band it knows, and I've also found it will do that for everything if its VR database doesn't match the songs on the ipod.

After letting it run VR Catalog, see if it can find an easy name,

If you pull your ipod every night and update outside the car, it will want VR update with every change.

It got it after indexing the first time, but not the second time. I tried Sharepod and it worked great as far as indexing goes, so thank you cmh928. VR was working decently this morning, however, the artist/album selecting via letter (the < A > in a list of artists or albums) always comes back with "Not Found"... any way to correct this? My tracks are tagged well for the most part, and I just want to have the option to search by alphabet instead of talking to the unit... thoughts?

however, the artist/album selecting via letter (the < A > in a list of artists or albums) always comes back with "Not Found"... any way to correct this? My tracks are tagged well for the most part, and I just want to have the option to search by alphabet instead of talking to the unit... thoughts?

I'm going to suggest they're not as well tagged as you think, I've never had an alphabet issue on the screen that was anything but a bad tag.

however, the artist/album selecting via letter (the < A > in a list of artists or albums) always comes back with "Not Found"... any way to correct this? My tracks are tagged well for the most part, and I just want to have the option to search by alphabet instead of talking to the unit... thoughts?

I'm going to suggest they're not as well tagged as you think, I've never had an alphabet issue on the screen that was anything but a bad tag.

It would seem weird that the voice recognition would work, if they weren't tagged well, wouldn't it? In my previous example, it can find the artists "Nine Inch Nails", however, if I goto N, it says not found.

Indexing is sometimes one letter off. T will bring up S at times. Not sure if this is due to not using iTunes, but it's no biggie. Voice commands work well. In fact, the more complex the name, the better the chance of getting who you said. "the Cure" may get something else, but "Red Hot Chili Peppers" works every time.

It got it after indexing the first time, but not the second time. I tried Sharepod and it worked great as far as indexing goes, so thank you cmh928. VR was working decently this morning, however, the artist/album selecting via letter (the < A > in a list of artists or albums) always comes back with "Not Found"... any way to correct this? My tracks are tagged well for the most part, and I just want to have the option to search by alphabet instead of talking to the unit... thoughts?

I've been having the same issue actually. Weird thing is, if I reboot the system it works (some times) and some times it doesn't! I thought it was because my iPod was set to the Portuguese language, cuz when I changed it to english, it worked for a couple weeks, but now it's doing it again. I think if you fidget with with while it's loading up it gets all messed up and that happens. I wonder if this is a known issue?