AVIC411.com

Question about Hacks/Mods

Hey guys I just got my AVIC-F700BT just the other day and installed it with the hardwire bypass. I dont know anything at all about the hacks and mods. So if someone could just give me a step by step for the process of everything that I need to do for backgrounds and other things. I just wanna customize it a little bit. Thanks for the help.

Here's a few tips that hopefully will cut some time off of your search:

1. The AVIC runs WinCE - so it will have a directory and file structure that looks very much like you are already used to.

2. When somebody says "...it's inside your navigatemap_800_480 file..." what they mean is that there's a DATA.zip file that is inside the APL2/iGo/ directory. Inside *that zip file* is another directory structure that you must keep intact. Your files are inside there. Almost EVERYTHING that you will mod will be somewhere inside this zip file.

3. You should use a program called 7Zip to manipulate the DATA.zip file.

4. You will need an SD card with AT LEAST 2GB of storage - then you should format it FAT32 *with no name* and put the testmode files onto it. When you successfully have the testmode files onto your SD card, you should have two folders directly in the root of your SD card: 'Testmode' and "MiTACAP'.

5. You can have other stuff on the card also, just make sure that the two testmode folders exist in the root.

6. Go into testmode on the AVIC and copy everything from "My Flash Drive" onto your SD card. Then take the SD card to your computer and copy everything to a folder for backup. Then change what you want (most likely stuff in the DATA.zip file) on the files that are on your SD card. Then put the card back into your AVIC, boot into testmode, and overwrite the files on the AVIC with the ones that you have changed.

7. Mostly what you will be able to "hack" is the on-screen layout and functionality of the navigation software, the sounds that the AVIC plays when you click around, the graphics for the buttons in the AVIC's menus, and some other stuff. It's a lotta fun, but don't think you're gonna be able to do whatever you want. Some things have not been figured out (yet) - like how to add buttons on the map screen that control your radio presets.

8. DO NOT DO ANYTHING while your system is copying files to/from your SD card. You can render the thing completely useless if it turns off while you start your car or something.

9. You see that link up at the top of this page that says "Wiki"?? Click it. Then click on "List of Software Mods".

10. Have fun.

Also everytime I set my time and turn off my car and come back and turn it on. It is messed up again. Any reason for this and how do I fix it?

Are your radio presets retained? It sounds like you may not have connected the ACC wire properly.

If it's connected properly, I would check your region/time settings in the NAV settings. Make sure your stuff is correct and - even in a worst case scenario - tell the thing to get the time from the satellites all the time... Then you can just wait a minute after getting GPS reception and it will be correct.