AVIC411.com

AVIC F90BT - Touchscreen virtually unusable (suggetsions?)

Trust me, I'm typically not one to complain. I knew coming in that this wasn't going to be a lightning fast system, but from what I read, I also expected it to work.

Besides a few buggy things, the main problem I'm having is with the touchscreen. At times when I'm on the map, or at my ipod controls, I'll push where I want to click and it won't accept my click. I'll try again and it won't work. Then I'll give it a go and nothing. Maybe then 5 seconds later it'll recognize one of my clicks, sometimes two of them.

I feel like I have to use the main buttons to re navigate when a screen is just frozen. There are times where it works fine. I'm at the main screen and I'll click on AV Source and it'll take about half a second and then go into the new screen. But then when I go into the IPod, it doesn't work.

It's just random screens that run unbearably slow, or not at all. I have 2.0 (box said so and in system settings it says so) but are there any modded drivers out there that make things work smoother?

Thanks.

So I messed around a little bit. Here's what I've found.

If I boot up the unit and throw in a DVD, it works flawlessly. The screen is incredibly responsive, works just as well, if not better than my old AVIC-N1 unit.

I take out the disc and go back to the main menu. I click on "Destination", perfect. Then I try to click on History, doesn't accept it. Then I click on POI, takes a second or two, then goes in. Then I select "from current GPS location". The text highlights and then.....nothing! Stays that way for about 20-30 seconds until I give up, hit the Menu key and go back to the main menu.

As a test, I stuck the DVD back in. Things were no longer as nice and quick as they were before.

From what I hear about the 1.0, I feel like I'm running the unit on 1.0 even though the box and system settings says 2.0. Should it really be this bad? If so, why would anyone ever recommend getting this unit? It's okay to not be lightning fast, but to not be able to use the GPS is just ridiculous.

The more I play, the worse it gets. Now it's virtually unresponsive. I'll post a video shortly to show how it is...

If I have to get a new unit, do I have to eat the costs of the uninstall and reinstall of a new unit? That's gonna be $300! Because they sent me a broken unit?

Video of unit not working:

(probably takes a few minutes to become available)

Contacted Pioneer. They immediately asked if I did an ebrake bypass which I denied of course. They said the installer probably tried to do one (95% of the time they claim that's the problem, the other 5% is faulty unit).

I did do the moving of the mute wire from row 1 slot 1 to row 2 slot 4.

They said I can send it in but if they detect I did an ebrake bypass, it'll be $200 for a repair. If not, free of charge.

So I just need to make sure I send them everything besides the harness, correct? Assuming this is the problem. I'm disconnecting the battery now to just test that out but I'm assuming I'm still going to have some sort of problems since it was never fully functional (hell of a lot worse now than a few hours ago though).

So here's the deal. It's only gotten worse. Everything is unbearably slow at this point. The unit boots up in about 2 minutes. I then really can't click on anything. When i push the map button, in about 5-10 seconds I get the warning screen and then I have to hit okay 4-5 times. it'll finally accept it and then take about another 20 seconds to show the map screen. At that point if I push down the big button for voice commands, that takes about 10-15 seconds to come up. The robotic voice is super choppy and crappy sounding.

So at this point, is there any time of "reformat" or "reinstallation" of the software I can do before I remove the unit and send it back? Also, should I be concerned about the threat I received of a $200 charge if they notice I did an eBrake bypass? And is there a chance that either the changing of the mute wire or the two grounded wires was done wrong, causing this problem?

Thanks in advance for any help.

is the unit brand new or did u buy i used? because if it was used someone could have messed a file when trying to copy or somthing like that..dont have a 90bt but if it works with dvd noproblem maybe the file for the main screen is bad??