AVIC411.com

Newbie Questions...

Hello

I just installed a F700BT with hardware hack and I have a few questions about its functionings. I searched and read the 191 page manual, but perhaps I am missing something but did not find much anwers to my questions, so if you don't mind, here are a few (perhaps stupid) questions:

1) How do we "turn off" the unit? I mean, when one only wants to drive without music, beside turning the volume down, how do we do it? (And beside turning off the car, that is).

2) Do I need an HD radio unit "add-on" to listen to HD radio stations? I think so, but I thought I would ask just to confirm...

3) The "turn screen off" function is buried in the system settings, is there a way to have it more easily accessible?

4) About the 2 main screens, I am correct to assume that the two main screen are only the Menu and Map screens? Is it possible to customize somehow these, or have one that would more simple, perhaps with a clock and the station listened to?

5) I paired by Black Berry Curve 8310 with it and transfered my contacts. Do I need to VR the contact list somehow? Because voice recognition does not work with my contacts. I keep saying "Call "name"" and it keeps repeating the command. Yet VR works with my Ipod. So I am puzzled. Am I supposed to do something else on my contact list?

6) On a related note, eventually VR thinks I have said a few numbers and starts dialing a few odd ones (it goes 555- when I said "Audrey" -- go figure!), is there a quick way to "hang up" the phone while I am in the VR screen?

7) Am I correct to assume that 8 gig is the highest "SD card" I can use with it?

8 ) When I am listening to preset FM stations, the multifunction nob seems to only change the FM band by decimal instead of changing to the next preset. Is this normal/correct? Seems odd....

9) Where can we get GPS map upgrade? Mine seems to date back from 2007... Are these the most recent?

10) When entering an address in the GPS, how do we enter a "dash" as in "St-Martin" ? The "odd" characters option is greyed out?

11) Do I need a screen protector or something? Is the screen that fragil?

12) Screen beeps How do I turn these off? I think there is a hack for these, however...

Beside that, I like the unit. Sound is clear and IPod integration is great, and GPS works fine.

Thanks for helping a newbie on this one!

1) Why would you want to not listen to music? ;-) But if you're playing a CD or SD, pop it out, and the unit drops to off, you can also just pause the ipod.

2) Yes, you need the HD add-on for HD Radio

8 ) Yes, the knob works in FM like every other FM tuning knob on the planet, I've never heard of one just jumping to presets.

11) You don't need a screen protector unless you're really rough on it and have sandpaper on your fingers

Hello

I just installed a F700BT with hardware hack and I have a few questions about its functionings. I searched and read the 191 page manual, but perhaps I am missing something but did not find much anwers to my questions, so if you don't mind, here are a few (perhaps stupid) questions:

1) How do we "turn off" the unit? I mean, when one only wants to drive without music, beside turning the volume down, how do we do it? (And beside turning off the car, that is).

2) Do I need an HD radio unit "add-on" to listen to HD radio stations? I think so, but I thought I would ask just to confirm...

3) The "turn screen off" function is buried in the system settings, is there a way to have it more easily accessible?

4) About the 2 main screens, I am correct to assume that the two main screen are only the Menu and Map screens? Is it possible to customize somehow these, or have one that would more simple, perhaps with a clock and the station listened to?

5) I paired by Black Berry Curve 8310 with it and transfered my contacts. Do I need to VR the contact list somehow? Because voice recognition does not work with my contacts. I keep saying "Call "name"" and it keeps repeating the command. Yet VR works with my Ipod. So I am puzzled. Am I supposed to do something else on my contact list?

6) On a related note, eventually VR thinks I have said a few numbers and starts dialing a few odd ones (it goes 555- when I said "Audrey" -- go figure!), is there a quick way to "hang up" the phone while I am in the VR screen?

7) Am I correct to assume that 8 gig is the highest "SD card" I can use with it?

8 ) When I am listening to preset FM stations, the multifunction nob seems to only change the FM band by decimal instead of changing to the next preset. Is this normal/correct? Seems odd....

9) Where can we get GPS map upgrade? Mine seems to date back from 2007... Are these the most recent?

10) When entering an address in the GPS, how do we enter a "dash" as in "St-Martin" ? The "odd" characters option is greyed out?

11) Do I need a screen protector or something? Is the screen that fragil?

12) Screen beeps How do I turn these off? I think there is a hack for these, however...

Beside that, I like the unit. Sound is clear and IPod integration is great, and GPS works fine.

Thanks for helping a newbie on this one!

4- no to my knowledge

5- make sure there are no characters in your phonebook - ie & - , . etc

6- see 5 probably the same issue

7- no 32 gig cards have been reported usable - format fat 32 at a lower section rate ie 32k

8- not on the avic-f yes other pioneer units have

9- we are all waiting for that

10- haven't used those sorry

11- I don't

12- yes there is a hack-works great, would have thrown this out the window without this hack.

Thanks - good luck

Hi

I stumbled across this site and have owned an F700BT since Sept 08. I had to sign up just to let you know that I bought a 32GB SDHC card which works perfectly. I never knew there were so many problems with these units. Mines been relatively well behaved - although a bit slow.

I have problems with my iPod being heard but never really spent any time trying to work it out as the 32GB card has all the music on it. Other people have trouble hearing me through the mic on bluetooth but i put that down to the mic being too far away.

Anyway the 32GB card I bought was one of these if it helps anybody...

HXPKjtgF6v-eUXMRBAvm8w?authkey=Gv1sRgCJLauajiqdGySA&feat=directlink

direct link http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/HXPKjtgF6v-eUXMRBAvm8w?authkey=Gv1sRgCJLauajiqdGySA&feat=directlink

Which is a class 4 version of this http://www.play.com/Electronics/Electronics/4-/9814045/-/Product.html?searchstring=32gb+sdhc&searchsource=0

8 ) Yes, the knob works in FM like every other FM tuning knob on the planet, I've never heard of one just jumping to presets.

Most radios have their default "change" for FM radio use presets and have a separate seek option to find radio stations. The reason why is in any normal city/metropolitan area (where most people/customers live) trying to seek is an effort in futility. My AVIC stops every 0.2 to 0.4 Mhz of the FM spectrum when using the knob's left/right action, because of the number of stations and noise out there, making it basically useless. The only time I use it is to program presets into the radio (i.e. stations I actually would like to listen to).

Since the AVIC won't tune presets unless you change out of map mode and take your eyes off the road, it is quite annoying.. :evil: I just hope they have a firmware update/fix for this in the next update...perhaps make it a config option to tune by preset instead.